working in hollywood, living elsewhere

Ian Coad

at what point in a dp's career can he/she live outside of southern california, but continue to work regularly. do you have to be a roger deakins, seamus mcgarvey or darius khondji in order to do so?

with one year left in graduate film school, i am considering staying in the us vs. using my dual citizenship with britain to embark on the possibilities of dping in uk. though, if somehow eventually able, i'd ideally live in london and work out of hollywood. is this a childish dream, or could it someday be possible?

any advice and insight would be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

A ton of folks raise their families and live outside LA.. outside California for that matter.. and it isn't just Talent & Dps... I know many successful Grips, Electricians and ACs who do the same. The money they do make in Hollywood goes further in other many States. You just need a crash pad and transportation when in LA.....

It's extremely challenging, especially early in your career. An awful lot of jobs come up very last-minute. You may be able to get yourself down from Fresno, but getting yourself in from Europe in time to take an interview/accept a job is back-breaking (especially since not all those interviews will turn into work). From a producer's point-of-view, why would you be hired when there's someone just as desirable right down the street, who isn't at the mercy of transportation infrastructure?

If you're going to do this, my advice is simple: DON'T BROADCAST IT. Get a cell phone with a Southern California area code, and a Southern California mailing address. You can have two sets of addresses and phone numbers on your business cards and folks will assume you're primarily in the one where they're talking to you, but they're very unlikely to even try to contact someone who appears to be from out of town unless it's someone who's work is really THAT good.

Unfortunately, he just did by posting it on the internet next to his real name, not that everyone looks, but still. . .

Fair enough. But if I'm digging that deeply into his background during my hiring check, I'm going to find out anyway. ;p

If one has an agent in LA and / or personally knows those who hire for film jobs _preferably in addition to the LA-area phone # and address_ then there is no need to live in LA. Conversely, one can be in LA and not know who hires for film jobs and effectively be S.O.L. ;)

Edited by Saul Rodgar

I certainly know a lot of people that work in features & don't live in LA.

If you want to DOP series TV, I think it would be tough to do a long way from LA.

I was in LA two months ago and the prices of houses have dropped to record lows. So if you want in, now is the time to buy!!

R,