ARE YOU THE MAN FOR THE JOB?

Guest lonedog

• Premium Member

I'd first ask what the budget was and what market the end product was for (theatrical first, or probably cable TV, DVD, etc.) If it was a genre film with no name actors, I'd probably guess that a theatrical deal was unlikely (even considering exceptions like "Blair Witch Project") but if they really believed it could happen, I'd shoot with that in mind. You have to work backwards from your delivery requirements to figure out the best way to shoot the movie, technically.

Hey,

First of all, I'd take the script home and read it.

And when I say read it, I mean candles, insense, classical music in the background and umm...'herbal remedies' or a bottle of wine.

Once I'm 'inside the story', I'd find a point of view and a general mood that fits the story, then choose a color theme, lighting style and film stock preferrence (if necessary).

Once I have completely devoted a large chunk of my brain to this project, I'd ask for another meeting with the producers to decide which format suits the story best.

I'd take the time to storyboard the screenplay (I love drawing storyboards so it wouldn't be a burden).

Finally, I'd meet up with the film's score composer, match my lighting/filming ideas with the feel of his/her music and once the ambience of the story is solid enough, pitch it back to the director/producers.

Man, all this talk is giving me a mental 'hard-on'. :)

Thanks,

Jonathan S.