New Member: Introduction

Michael Reed

Hello everyone. I'm new to the boards. It was recommended to me by a fellow film maker from my area...

Firstly, I hope I'm not getting off on the wrong foot here...as I'm posting in the General Discussion area for my introduction. I couldn't find anything else appropriate...other than maybe Off Topic.

Secondly, I just want to make sure I'm not going to be crucified for being mainly an actor. Although I'm mainly pursuing acting as my career, many times I assume responsibilities of a crew member. Often I will boom, I will bounce, I will help set up lights, work on set design, and occasionally I'll be handed some makeup and fX work to do.

I've worked on over 15 legitimate films (micro/low/no budget), and have been acting for around 15 years for both stage and film.

Anyway. Enough boring introduction. I have a lot to say about film, and I promise to be constructive and friendly.

* Here is the last feature I acted and crewed in:

(currently on it's 12th theatrical screening).

Thanks!

Edited by Michael Reed

Hi... You are welcome here, but shame on the crew that made you hold a boom... or do any crew jobs as an actor.

Ha ha!

Nah...I want to do it. I'm capable and willing. One of the companies I work with a lot runs a tight ship...more of a family atmosphere...we are all good friends, so many of us wear multiple hats. These films range in budget from 8k to 30K...so they aren't big dogs, and the pay is low, so we can't afford a bunch of pros running around with single job descriptions. :) But that's cool. I'm doing it because I love to do it. I've learned a lot in the process, and this has opened many doors for me as an actor on other sets.

I don't crew on the majority of sets I work on...just a few of them. Not being afraid to move gear or other crew work is a great way to be asked back for the next feature. It's a win win.

Thanks though...I can see how coming from the union viewpoint one might see this practice as abominable.

Take care.

Yeah I wasn't even thinking from a union standpoint but rather an actors. I'm sure its hard enough to try to stay in your roll not having to worry about your shoulder hurting from holding the boom from the other shots. But yeah its understandable when doing productions with friends and I guess it wouldn't hurt your chances for getting called back ;)