need some advice

David Desio

Hey all,

so I had a shoot last weekend, a personal project that I am Directing; and I ran into a bit of a snag. While shooting a crucial interior shot, someone forgot to pull the Polarizer from the camera and the scene came out about 2 1/2 stops under. We shot in HD so the information is there but barely.

So the scene took place in a location that was very accomodating, but also happy to see us leave. I will be begging them for a re-shoot day but if I don't get it, I need some ideas for backup options.

Here is the shot with some tweaking already done:

Wow David... bummer! Have you tried opening up the image.. is there not enough info there in the blacks?... in my mind, it will be very difficult to salvage something 2 to 2 1/2 stops under. But I am a Film guy... best of luck either way.

I look forward to meeting you in a couple weeks! :)

Wow David... bummer! Have you tried opening up the image.. is there not enough info there in the blacks?... in my mind, it will be very difficult to salvage something 2 to 2 1/2 stops under. But I am a Film guy... best of luck either way.

I look forward to meeting you in a couple weeks! :)

Hey David,

Well this is the image bumped up to get what I have here, I don't have much info in the blacks, it's there but it's sketchy enough to be scary. Now I must put this out there that this was not a mistake made directly by me, but rather one of the troops who dedicated a Saturday to making my film...in case it reflected badly on me :)

Look forward to meeting you as well.

Tiny suggestion...

Shoot a frame of the background or some minute without the actor and green screen the close up.

Dim

Thanks guys for the replies.

I'm entertaining the green screen option as I happen to work at a studio that has one.

Dave

• Premium Member

Does it all play tight like that, or are there some wide shots? If it's tight, you could shoot it anywhere, as David M. says. If not, maybe try to salvage or re-shoot a master, and do the rest somewhere else.

-- J.S.

Why mess with greenscreens and compositing issues when the background is blurry and near black? You could recreate that background with some cardboard and random pieces of tape...

THIS is why ya gotta love 'David Mullen ASC! Great suggestion David.

The scene plays tight and I have a master that is a little easier to salvage. I really like the idea of the mock-up, it's the cheapest solution which makes me happy.

I went to the location last night and pleaded my case, after offering a little cash for their troubles. They said yes on the reshoots on the condition that we are out in 3 hours...no worries.

Thanks everyone, I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Dave