2.40 Ground Glass for SR2

Charles Boileau

Hi,

I'd like to do a 2.40 extraction for a short movie I'm shooting this summer.

We're using Zeiss HS lenses and an SR2.

I've been looking for a 2.40 GG for the SR2, but I out of luck so far.

Any idea where I could get one? Also, any thoughts on the 2.40 extraction in super16?

Finally, I'd like to do an HD transfer. So far the prices I got are a little bit too expensive for the producer. It's 3600$ for processing, cleaning and HD cam transfer of 4400 foot of super 16.

Thanks!

I would go to the Arri website for your ground glass.

Also, HD transfer is nice, but I don't think you should go all out for it. My one s16mm to HD experience was not 100 percent great. (You can see the results in the first section of my reel. Follow the link below.) On one hand, the one 2K digital festival screening of that film looked great, but on smaller screens, the HD really sees the grain. If you can get a Spirit transfer to digi-beta you'll get a very clean transfer, and relieve some of the budget pressure.

Good luck!

Also, HD transfer is nice, but I don't think you should go all out for it. My one s16mm to HD experience was not 100 percent great. (You can see the results in the first section of my reel. Follow the link below.) On one hand, the one 2K digital festival screening of that film looked great, but on smaller screens, the HD really sees the grain. If you can get a Spirit transfer to digi-beta you'll get a very clean transfer, and relieve some of the budget pressure.

Good luck!

So the 2k projection of your your HD transfer looked nice? In your opinion a digi beta transfer on spirit might look nicer?

Thanks! I'll give a call to Arri Canada.

• Premium Member

I don't know anything about SR2s, but might it be possible to simply draw the 2.4:1 lines with a pencil on the gg. I have done that many times w/ other cameras.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com

Good luck!

Are you sure it was grain and not noise from the telecine machine? The fact the 2k scan was fine would seem to indicate the latter to me! Perhaps the telecine machine was having more trouble scanning the small negative to HD? Or maybe it was just a bad transfer?

love

Freya

• 2 weeks later...

You guys should do more shopping for your post work rates.

CINEFILM ( in Atlanta) can get the job done for about $500 cheaper. If you process and transfer there its cheaper, and they use a SPIRIT. :

http://www.cinefilmlab.com/rates.html

Also check out Paul Korver at Cinelicious :

http://www.cinelicious.tv/?page_id=6

Good Luck.