simulating underwater action

Mike Washlesky

I have a pilot coming up I will be DP'ing/operating on in August and was curious if anyone has effectively faked underwater scenes? We are planning on using smoke(hazer), fans for wavy hair and possibly slo-motion to simulate our actors underwater. Cost prevents us from actually shooting underwater unless I hear otherwise.

Any tricks to simulate the light refraction of waves/ripples on the subjects from a light source playing as moonlight from above? Hard light punched through a bowl of water? I am at a loss on how to simulate this as well and usually find the stage type effects for theater too rigid and inorganic.

thanks..

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a decent modern mock up of underwater.

If cost is that much of an issue what about in a swimming pool? I did a short film shoot at public pool that had a viewing panel under the water level so we could all stay dry as we shot… no underwater equipment needed, just some good RT’s to talk to the First AD and he could yell instructions to the actors.

It was night when the pool was closed so we basically paid for a security guy and that was all. A couple of HMI’s to light and it looked fantastic. Our art dep got a local school underwater polo team to help dress the bit of the pool we were using with fake seaweed and they did it as work experience… i.e. for free.

The sound op used a lapel mic in a balloon with a weight and it was so good we used a lot of it in the film.

Edited by Stephen Press

If cost is that much of an issue what about in a swimming pool? I did a short film shoot at public pool that had a viewing panel under the water level so we could all stay dry as we shot… no underwater equipment needed, just some good RT’s to talk to the First AD and he could yell instructions to the actors.

It was night when the pool was closed so we basically paid for a security guy and that was all. A couple of HMI’s to light and it looked fantastic. Our art dep got a local school underwater polo team to help dress the bit of the pool we were using with fake seaweed and they did it as work experience… i.e. for free.

The sound op used a lapel mic in a balloon with a weight and it was so good we used a lot of it in the film.

Yeah I was trying to steer them to shoot practically underwater. no dice. So now I have to figure out the best way to fake it, or at least make it look dreamy enough to sell it a real.

• Premium Member

There is a very good water ripple projector now at Rosco.

Otherwise, you need to figure out how to get rippling patterns to come from above instead of below. You could make 4'x'4 shallow trays with plexi bottoms and suspend them from wires, with a little wind-up toy inside to shake up the water, and then hit them with Xenons bounced off of mirrors from above.

Guest Tim Partridge

For Your Eyes Only has a totally convincing dry underwater sequence towards its climax. I believe every shot with Carole Boquet was faked. Get out the DVD for full information.

There is a very good water ripple projector now at Rosco.

Otherwise, you need to figure out how to get rippling patterns to come from above instead of below. You could make 4'x'4 shallow trays with plexi bottoms and suspend them from wires, with a little wind-up toy inside to shake up the water, and then hit them with Xenons bounced off of mirrors from above.

I was wondering if something along those lines would work. The CGI guys said they could add those, but I have my doubts about how good it will look without seeing some type of test/example. I think that really helps sell being underwater. I will take a look at the ripple projector. Thanks David.

For Your Eyes Only has a totally convincing dry underwater sequence towards its climax. I believe every shot with Carole Boquet was faked. Get out the DVD for full information.

no kidding! I dont remember that scene at all. will purchase the DVD and take a peek. Thanks Tim.