Rates

Just to get a better idea... what are standard rates for 1st/2nd AC's. I know they vary depending on type of production, who is hiring, region, etc. But I am curious so that I can set mine in the correct range. I wouldn't mind a breakdown between commercials, features, music videos, union/ non-union etc.

thanks!

I don't think that it's so much touchy as incredibly variable. Unless you're IATSE I don't think there actually is a "standard" rate and even then it would probably vary city to city based on cost of living...

Thanks very much Adrian. I do agree it is incredibly variable. I suppose that is why I was asking :). I guess I was looking for more of a general range and not hard numbers. It seems there should be some sort of standard range that transcends region, production type, etc.. no?

• Premium Member

I personally wouldn't count on it outside of union shoots. I mean, just for me as a DP, a good standard 'round here in Philadelphia is $500/day which is what I charge down here, but up in NY it would be higher as it's 78% more to live in NYC (last I checked?). And even down here in Philadelphia, I have to modulate my own rate based on the production. A non profit who hired me up in NYC offered me $700/day whereas a Non-Profit down here in Philadelphia could only swing $300 and of course I took 'em both.

I found this document, might help:

http://www.resource411.com/pdf/IATSE_AICP_...rridor_Rule.pdf

also this:

http://www.ozonline.tv/Georgia/Oz/Oz6-4/le...inerchart.shtml

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Thanks for your help!

Just as a note the AICP rates are not the same as the other union rate cards.

As a general suggestion I wouldn't take less than $150/12 ever, and then base it on your market and who the client is. I've worked for rates below my norm for certain jobs. Something also to look out for if a job is low balling you too much, you have to make sure the job is still worth it at all. Sometimes ultra low budget work comes with many hassles besides the low pay.

~Marque

• Premium Member

I'd say your rate depends more on the type of job than your skill/experience level (up to a point). I've gotten as much as $550/10 as a 1st AC for corporate/commercial gigs and as low as $100/day flat for no budget short films (not counting the freebies, obviously!). More often, it's something in between.

I think rule of thumb is $500/10 for high budget/union gigs, $250/10 or 12 for low budget gigs, $100/12 or flat for no budget cash-at-end-of-day gigs. I wouldn't recommend working for a flat rate unless you really need the money, experience, or contacts - it's pretty much guaranteed you will be working 14+ hours with no gas money, no kit rental, no bridge toll, no 2nd meal, etc. It gets old fast.

Make sure when you negotiate your rate to ask for kit rental for your gear and expendables if you provide any, and also mileage if you're going to be transporting gear in your car. Keep receipts.