SDX-900 to HD?

chris pyle

Hi,

I just discovered this forum. Glad to see you all here. I am looking at shooting a couple of long-form docs in the near future (heavy on beauty and production value rather than newsy) . I have been considering the sdx-900 for a long time; saw the demo at Moviola a while back. The thing I am stuggling with is that several of my outlets have expressed an interest in HD (PBS, etc.).

Real HD is out of my budget, so I have started looking at HDV. However, I would prefer to shoot with the 900 in 24P so was wondering if anyone out there has had any experience going from DVCPRO 50 to HD (for HD broadcast, not film).

Thanks so much,

Chris Pyle

Wildland Films

• Premium Member

I've seen footage from the SDX-900 uprezed to HD, and it looks "pretty good." That is to say, it's not true HD but it can still look nice.

There's a Panasonic deck ( http://catalog2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs/s...odel=AJ-HD1200A ) that can output an HD signal from DVCPRO 50 tapes. I've seen the footage compared back-to-back with Panasonic Varicam footage, and the uprezed SDX stuff looks nice but still a little softer than the Varicam footage. And when you consider that the Varicam's 720 lines represents the low end of what's considered HD, uprezed SDX images will probably look a little soft next to other HD material.