What is the difference between theese stocks.

• Premium Member

Hi. I am looking forward some information about the differences (or maybe some comparison table) between Vision, Vision2 and Vision3 in term of color reproduction. Particularly if new generation stocks has better color reproduction than earlier version or it is just the getting the grain smaller and smaller from generation to generation?

best regards

Pawel

• Premium Member
How's the project going? Did the film-dig transfer thing work out? Do I recall correctly that you obtained a telecine or scan unit? Many of us are still cheering for you.

Hey Paul. The project is going well. I have very nice working scanner here.

(see this link: http://gallery.me.com/pawel.saladziak#1000...p;bgcolor=black , it was in my apartment then, now I have moved with al the machinery to my private small lab).

Here you can see the very first scan's preview: http://gallery.me.com/pawel.saladziak#1000...p;bgcolor=black

Currently I am in the beginning of preparing the professional demo-reel for low cost & high quality scanning services.

But i have a doubt - and that is where my question come from.

I have scanning software that has presets for some older kodak stocks including Vision first generation stock.

I have an opportunity to get the setting files for latest stock together with test strip etc... but it costs of course, and currently I do not have space in budget for this.

But IF the differences in color recording on Vision2 and 3 versus Vision are noticeable, then well maybe I should really look for money to get these newest stock settings.

The man that offers me this upgrade claims that this will move cineon scanner to the same quality of color reproduction that you have with new generation scanners.

So that is why I am asking. Maybe it will be worth to cut down some useless expenses (like food for example :lol: ) for several weeks to enlarge my post production tool budget....

best regards

Pawel

• Premium Member
Hi. I am looking forward some information about the differences (or maybe some comparison table) between Vision, Vision2 and Vision3 in term of color reproduction. Particularly if new generation stocks has better color reproduction than earlier version or it is just the getting the grain smaller and smaller from generation to generation?

best regards

Pawel

Basically, from Vision1 to Vision2, the stocks became lower contrast with greater dynamic range, less color-saturated with less red bias in the skin tones, and also finer-grained. I would describe V1 as looking "harsher" in comparison to V2. They are pretty different in look. Also, the Vision1 stocks have been discontinued for some time now. Of the new Vision3 stocks, I've only shot 7219 500T but the main differences I've noticed between it and 7218 500T is that the newer stock seems to have more latitude and slightly finer grain. Otherwise, they are not too different in look.