Camera PA's???

• Premium Member

Hey guys,

I was curious if you guys have tips for a Camera PA? I may have a job coming up and I've never worked in this capacity before.

I know the things I would want a PA to do for me, but i wanted to get some more feedback from guys/gals on their likes/dislikes and pet-peeves of PA's etc...

John

It like, as a Camera PA, that you're really just there to be a sponge and soak up information from the DP/AC's...and to set up the monitor(s).

Just follow direction from the camera crew, and if you have ANY questions, always ask. As a PA, it's a good time to learn as much as you can without seeming like someone who's too inexperienced for the job of an AC.

• Premium Member

yeah, figured as much. I have some experience working as an AC but only on small independent production and student films so I don't think I'll look too incompetent. It'll be a great learning experience! Just wasn't sure if anyone had experience with a Camera PA who really did/knew some things that made them more valuable.

(besides knowing how the Cam team takes their coffee... got that one down... ;)

• Premium Member
(besides knowing how the Cam team takes their coffee... got that one down... ;)

Yup. Know that, how to over-under BNC, and be able to learn quick and you're good.

• Premium Member
UNLESS...it's the kind of situation where it's a Union show, and you're really a 2nd AC, but for union reasons you're credited as a PA/Intern. In that case, bring your "A game" :)

In which case, you should call the union and tell them that you're working as a 2nd AC and only being paid and being credited as a camera PA. ;)

In which case, you should call the union and tell them that you're working as a 2nd AC and only being paid and being credited as a camera PA. ;)

I know of guys who are hired on the books as PA's but are really there to shoot behind-the-scenes. But of course there is no EPK contract (except for Eastern and Central Regions... NOT Western Region), so they are "legal" to work as a Cameraman, at least in LA.