Where is everyone buying cameras?

Jay Young

• Premium Member

Ok, so Bolexes are selling for about $600, but they are listing for $5000!! Beaulieu's are overpriced more so than ever; $950. I just about choked on my cereal. R10's are listing for $500 or more, and let's not forget the almighty Canon 1014 at $485.

Is there any other place that has decent equipment for sale from other people that are not crazy? Am I wrong to question the prices of Ebay? I need some other camera equipment for several projects I am involved with. I want to purchace it, but I am NOT going to pay 5k for a flippin Bolex.

On the other end, there is a Mitchell BNCR complete with Worrall gear head for $7000. I MIGHT consider paying that for such a setup, but, I don't really know for sure, what that camera is worth.

Any thoughts?

• Premium Member

Marketing is funny stuff. Prices went down for a while but stuff was still not selling. When the economy is this bad stuff won't sell at any price. When that happens sellers put the price back up to previous peaks thinking that they might snag a sucker and make up for mounting losses. This happens on sneazebay when someone gets that idea and everyone else follows suit. Sometimes it actually works. So, it's worth trying. We'll have to wait and see if that can stimulate sales and put sellers back in the "fabled cat bird's seat."

I'm currently looking for a Super 8 camera too, I found quite a handful of shops besides ebay, but their prices are not really cheaper. On the other hand you can assume to get a 100% working or serviced camera from such a shop.

I was into the market of a Super 8 camera (mostly Canon 1014 XL) almost exactly one year ago and although my memory is not the best I'm quite sure the said Canon was more or less the same like it is now.