Film Transfer 35mm 16mm to 2K

Hello everyone, just wanted to post that we built a true 2k tranfer machine to transfer 16mm and 35mm films, this is a custom built machine and will transfer in real time. The reason we built this was to be able to transfer films for people for a very very affordable price. if anyone has films that they need transfered or just want some more info on this, shoot us a email and will talk. soloblazer@gmail.com Thanks and everyone have a great day.

Edited by Billy Baker

We have done several films already, and no complaints, converted, color corrected, scratch removal, etc, and then used the 2k digital media and watch in a couple different theaters and its looked great.

• Premium Member

Where are you guys located? If you're out here on the east coast I'd love to bring some film through a test with you guys, just to see. It's always nice to have options for post, though I've been pretty true to my default colorist/post house here in Phila, there are often scheduling conflicts now that they're getting much better known.

• Premium Member
we are located in Asheville, NC. www.2ktransfer.com

scarry, the web site brags that they get it righht the first time, which is good because the original sometimes falls apart in the transfer.

while I have seen badly cared for film become brittle, I hope that is not the norm for there transfer setup

This "film falling apart" is geared towards older film that either has not been taken care of or film that is just gotten brittle from age. Not due to equipment. We have just gotten film in from the 30s and 40s that is so bittle that we are lucky to get 1 pass out of it.

Hi Billy,

It's good to see that filmmakers have another option when it comes to high resolution scanning. Your website, however, leaves a lot of unanswered questions that I think you need to address. Given that you guys are using a custom made scanner, I feel it's important to be specific about a lot of things; considering that your client base may be more familiar with more traditional DI scanners.

"The imaging device 2KTransfer uses has a higher resolution than normal 2K standard." So are you oversampling when you scan, or is the sensor simply a bit larger than 2k native so that you have room to correct for gate-shifting?

"2KTransfer can deliver films in many different formats." Like what? Quicktimes? MXF? Image sequences? Also what native format does your scanner output? DPX? Cineon? Tiff? 16-bit? 10-bit?

Is your scanner capable of handling 2-perf/3-perf 35mm? Super 16mm? ULTRA 16?

Is your scanner only built for scanning full rolls or can it scan select shots from EDLs/keycode lists like most DI scanners?

On what system do you color correct? Is it set up for simple base-grades for dailies or is it more versatile for adding secondary corrections/windows, etc for more serious work?

Now, this purely my opinion, but if older film is "falling apart" through your scanner then I don't feel that your scanner is best equipped to handle such fragile film. Honestly, I think there are better scanners for this type of archival work; ones that utilize adaptive pin registration (with adjustable parameters to conform to film shrinking, torn perf, etc) or non-pinregistered archival gates (which scan into the perforated area). Now I understand some poorly stored old film is destined to break-down either way, but the slower transport system of a pin-registered scanner would significantly decrease the chances of older film being damaged.

I would love to see samples from this scanner, it sounds like you guys have a lot of experience, especially if you designed at Grass Valley! Did you by any chance have any involvment in the development of the Spirit scanner?

Thanks for your post. First i would like to say in regards to are web site, its just a place holder, are main clients are private collectors. Also we were not involved in the in the spirit scanner, but indeed were involved in the Da Vinci and CCD technology.

We use a full frame imaging device, not a scanner.

The imaging device is movable to allow for re framing. 2048x1152

The Image sense has the equivalent to 11F stop range.

We can record the RAW image data but perfer to use CineForm RAW record. Then we can render that to just about any format you would like.

We can handle 2 and 3 perf, super and ultra 16.

We have full color correction control from the raw data, plus we have MTI restoration software if need be.

Are system is design to go from head to tails, because are primary function with this is to restore old films (just complete a 1930's film for a client).

We originally designed this machine to restore old films, but also have done many new films.

Thanks for your inputs and if you have any more questions please ask.