Overhead 4x4 Kinos - Is this a safe way to rig them?

Brandon Whiteside

• Premium Member
Would it be safe to mount a 4x4 Kino Flo on a 3-rise baby with all risers near full height with a 40" offset arm at a 45 degree angle and say, maybe 3 25 pound bags on each stand?

If you want to go high with it, I'd try to go up to a junior stand if you can. If that's not a possibility, I think it should be fine as long as you make sure not to fully extend any of the risers and leave enough telescoped overlap to be strong.

Yeah, I plan on leaving a few inches on each riser. The part i was worried about is the part where the 40" gobo arm is extended maybe 30 inches at a 45 degree angle. That will be okay?

The arm should hold fine as long as, as Chris says, your stand is strong enough. use a triple riser combo stand. If you have room with whatever you're doing, you can get another arm and a clamp and run a "kicker" arm from the stand upto your extended arm, but it's not absolutely necessary and depends on what you'r doing with the light.

The arm should hold fine as long as, as Chris says, your stand is strong enough. use a triple riser combo stand. If you have room with whatever you're doing, you can get another arm and a clamp and run a "kicker" arm from the stand upto your extended arm, but it's not absolutely necessary and depends on what you'r doing with the light.

A Baby stand is not the right tool for the job. you could do it with the baby stand but you'd probably have to buy a new stand. Kino's are light but still heavy enough to mess up a baby stand.if it has to be done use a combo stand. or build a field goal or menace arm.

I have upped it to a Junior stand. Can anyone explain a menace arm, and a combo stand?

junior stand is equal to combo stand. (and this is where I get crucified) a combo stand has a pop-up baby pin on it and a junior or reflector stand does not. Both are JR receiver stands.

MENACE ARM:

A boom arm made from speed rail. It utilizes any size speed rail you like up to 20ft. mounts onto a Combo stand with a 4.5 head. Some people cobble their own out of a couple cardellini's and a 20x ear. some manufacturers ( modern studio) make a kit with a stabilizer.

I have upped it to a Junior stand. Can anyone explain a menace arm, and a combo stand?

A menace arm is basically a really long offset built out of speedrail, a frame ear, and a combo stand. They are mostly used to arm in a backlight. It doesn't sound like you need that much offset. A combo stand is the same as a junior stand only grips mostly use it in three riser form or larger. It's steel, and has a six inch grip head (lollipop) inserted in the junior reciever. Go to Matthews or Modern websites and look this stuff up. They should have pictures of all of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Brandon, this is something best shown and not "explained." Menace arms fall into a large category of things that you need to have someone with experience doing it, - with you or for you.

I have seen many bent C arms due to Kino Flo overhead rigging - it will work for a couple hours, but there is inherent chance for equipment damage and injury. To answer your main question:

Yes there is a safe way, and a menace arm is probably the best solution (depending on your location size - the pipe or 2x4 will extend back away from the stand with a ratchet strap/counterweight) - and you may or may not have the room for that.... But it is not safe if it is off balance or not properly secured. and I wouldn't want to be the one to tell you go and build it and have you say, hey it fell and I got fired, broke the light, etc.... If you wouldn't feel comfortable doing something yourself, go and learn on-set from some others (you may have to expand your network, take a cut in pay, etc)... Work on enough shows and you'll see just about everything - (or enough to raise your level of experience)... then you can go and improvise and do things you've never seen before and feel OK about it. Mean to help - not to criticize.