Finishing up - output video format

jasarsenault

Im am finishing up a project I shot on reg 16mm, transfered and edited on dv cam. The film is nearly finished editing on fcp4. When I am done, what is the best format to output to for festival or broadcast? Beta sp? How can I make sure I keep the quality from dropping as I output? As well I will be making dvd's with Studio pro. Any recomendations for high quality dvd making?

Edited by jasarsenault

I'm not really a telecine guy, but depending on the length of your feature, there are several dvd output options.

FCP HD and Compressor are two of my favorite friends. Compressor offers several presets ranging from 120 minutes low quality to 60 minutes high quality. All of these presets offer you different bit rate setttings for your dvd output. Basically, go with the highest bitrate you can and at the same time, leave enough room for special features and extras if you're going to need them.

As far as I know, a lot of festivals (especially smaller towns) allow dvds to be used for festival screenings- I even know of one that will show vhs tapes on the screen! ak!

But if you're wanting the highest quality- without regard for size (any type of compression is dropping quality, no matter how minute) you might want to dump it to digibeta- any uncompressed format from fcp should be alright too... maybe.

Not sure where to go with this... digibeta is probably fine for festival submissions- of course I'd check with the festival entry person before. I always thought it was typical to send in a dvd/vhs for judging, then they'd contact you with the specifications for the screening copy if you are selected.