Affordable S16 zoom lens

Hi,

I'm looking for an affordable super 16 zoom lens for my Bolex. I have an old Angenieux 15-150 f1.9, but this huge thing got some dust inside… would be too expensive to clean and re calibrate.

What can you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Regards

your cheapest bet may be to get a nikon mount and get a sigma zoom. Like there 12-24 and 23-300 should cover anything you'd really need except maybe a wide shot you might need to find an 8 or 9.5mm

Hi,

I'm looking for an affordable super 16 zoom lens for my Bolex. I have an old Angenieux 15-150 f1.9, but this huge thing got some dust inside… would be too expensive to clean and re calibrate.

What can you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Regards

i'd say shoot some footage with it, if anything the dust will just lower the contrast. the angenieux 12-120 was a favorite for a long time!

• Premium Member
Thanks!

But Im looking for PL Mount Cine lenses…

Prime lenses would also be fine, but I think a set of prime lenses is far more expensive than one zoom lens

Hi Konstantin,

I believe the smallest S16 PL mount cine zoom is the Fujinon 10-40mm T/3.95. This lens was made for the Aaton A-Minima at the request of the Japanese Aaton importer. I don't think there were very many built, but you can check with Abel Cine Tech in Burbank or New York to see if they can find one for you.

You might also consider the Vario-Switar 17-85 T/3.5 Compact Zoom made for the Bolex cameras in C and Bayonet mount versions. It makes surprisingly good quality images for a reasonable price, probably between $500-900. Deiter Schaefer at Procam (Bolex USA) told me recently that this lens will cover S16 throughout its entire range.

-Fran

What is your budget?

Is your Bolex PL hard mounted? (with non removable mount?) You don't have a C-mount or a B- mount available? That would be the easiest / cheaper way of going at it.

For a Bolex with C-mount or removable Arri S/ B/ PL mount you could get an Arri S/B-mount later-model Angie 17-68 T2.2. Sharp as tacks and with a Arri S / B- to PL lens adapter you can get a somewhat inexpensive solution if your Bolex is PL hard mounted.

http://www.visualproducts.com/store02.asp?ID=11

What is your budget?

Is your Bolex PL hard mounted? (with non removable mount?) You don't have a C-mount or a B- mount available? That would be the easiest / cheaper way of going at it.

For a Bolex with C-mount or removable Arri S/ B/ PL mount you could get an Arri S/B-mount later-model Angie 17-68 T2.2. Sharp as tacks and with a Arri S / B- to PL lens adapter you can get a somewhat inexpensive solution if your Bolex is PL hard mounted.

Thanks a lot!!!

I did a test shot with the lens at various f stops and focal lengths.

The film is now at the lab. Will get my full HD to Disk scan this week.

I also tested it with the Ikonoskop 9mm lens that came with my a-cam.

In the meantime I found out that leicashop.com here in Vienna could clean and recollimate the lens for about $300,-

I'll keep you guys updated! I will also upload the demo clip on vimeo!

The Bolex got a B Mount! But I will get my SRII converted to S16 and PL mount, so a PL mount lens would be a better solution!

Thanks!

Regards

Hi!

Today I got my HD back, with the dpx files. I converted them into a ProRes QT and edited the file in FCP. I did the cc in Color.

The strange thing is that nearly all of the shots were way too dark! I used my Canon 1D MkII as "lightmeter" - bad choice? Any advice?

But here is the video: http://vimeo.com/6400044

Everything was shot with the Angenieux 15-150, except the last five scenes (9mm Ikonoskop)

• Premium Member

Hi Konstantin,

possible reasons for your footage being too dark on your Rex-5...

1. Partially closed variable shutter. You should see an extremely obvious triangle protruding from the bottom of your finder. You can't miss it if it's there.

2. You set the wrong ISO or shutter on you Canon when metering. You should set it at 1/80th at 24fps to account for the light loss in the beam splitter (you lose around 1/3rd of a stop).

3. Your film was old.

4. There's an ND filter in your behind-the-lens filter tray.

5. Your camera is running too fast.

6. There is something wrong with importing the dpx files. What telecine house did you transfer at? Are they using log or lin LUTs?

That's all I can think of right now...

Cheers, Dave

PS: Oh, and clean that windshield! ;)

Hi Konstantin,

possible reasons for your footage being too dark on your Rex-5...

1. Partially closed variable shutter. You should see an extremely obvious triangle protruding from the bottom of your finder. You can't miss it if it's there.

2. You set the wrong ISO or shutter on you Canon when metering. You should set it at 1/80th at 24fps to account for the light loss in the beam splitter (you lose around 1/3rd of a stop).

3. Your film was old.

4. There's an ND filter in your behind-the-lens filter tray.

5. Your camera is running too fast.

6. There is something wrong with importing the dpx files. What telecine house did you transfer at? Are they using log or lin LUTs?

That's all I can think of right now...

Cheers, Dave

PS: Oh, and clean that windshield! ;)

Hi!

1-5: no :)

But yes, probably I've done something wrong when importing the dpx files. Synchro in Vienna. Ahm What? (sorry - Ive never worked with dpx files before)

Here are two unedited screengrabs:

opened the dpx with photoshop and converted it into a .jpg

bolex.jpg

canon.jpg

Ps: Sorry for not calling back - Ill give you a call tomorrow afternoon, because tomorrow I have a "Nachprüfung"