Super 16 conversion by Les Bosher

konstantin smola

Les Bosher converted my Bolex RX5, but I'm not happy at all with the conversion.

Dust in the viewfinder and on the gg, a mysterious white line in the viewfinder, and also the edges of the new s16 gg don't look really "clean".

I tried to contact him a couple of times now (also used different email accounts, to make sure there is nothing wrong with my email server)

But he never responded...

I attached a few pictures of my camera.

I assume not all viewfinders look like this after conversion? Any ideas how I can clean the viewfinder myself?

Thanks!

I can't really pass too much comment on your specific experiences, but I've not had any problems during my (limited) dealings with Les.

If he's particularly busy I did find he can take a little while to get back to emails. Why don't you just ring him? I found him quite friendly and helpful on the phone when he did work on my Beaulieu R16. Rather than telling him that the work is wrong, why don't you do what you've done here and just ask him if that's how it should be, and is it normal? ...Why are you seeing an extra white line, what is it? etc.

I can't really pass too much comment on your specific experiences, but I've not had any problems during my (limited) dealings with Les.

If he's particularly busy I did find he can take a little while to get back to emails. Why don't you just ring him? I found him quite friendly and helpful on the phone when he did work on my Beaulieu R16. Rather than telling him that the work is wrong, why don't you do what you've done here and just ask him if that's how it should be, and is it normal? ...Why are you seeing an extra white line, what is it? etc.

Hi,

not to get me wrong, I do definitely not want to run him down! He is for sure a great camera tec.!

And yes I will ring him, but I just wanted to find out whether this is normal or not.

Edited by konstantin smola

Les converted my EBM and I´m happy with it. Maybe you must try this little problem with him before to post here.

Thanks!

Ok, so i think something went wrong with my camera, but I will call Les tomorrow! Im sure he can fix it:)

Thanks guys!

Edited by konstantin smola

• 3 months later...
Thanks!

Ok, so i think something went wrong with my camera, but I will call Les tomorrow! Im sure he can fix it:)

Thanks guys!

I like Les Bosher ! He send me a lot of customers to make good conversions.

We converted 2 Bolex for the James Bond movie "Die another day"

If you want the best conversion send your camera to Cameraspro in the US.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I agree wholeheartedly with Andre Hoven. STAY AWAY from Guy Bodart and Cameraspro at all costs! I am speaking from personal experience. To call Guy Bodart and Cameraspro unprofessional would be an understatement.

STAY AWAY!

I just had my Rex5 converted through Dieter Schaeffer at ProCam. He uses JK Camera ONLY for S16 and they did a very nice job. I had to clean a few specks off the new GG from the machining, but everything is very crisp through the viefinder. Other than JK, sending it to Bolex in Switzerland is probably your best bet. Just my opinion...

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Why you did not send the camera to Cameraspro? The conversion comes with 6 months warranty. Comming here to cry is not the solution. I also received cameras converted from Les Bosher, JK and Bernie. The problem with the JK conversion is the prism. The glue is melting under high temperature and your viewfinder is OFF. I told Dieter about that. Bolex Switzeland doesn't glue anything on the prism. The viewfinder doesn't need any marking. THe cameraspro conversion shows you the projected picture inside the viewfinder and you can clean the prism without any problem. No dust infiltration is possible. If Cameraspro is so bad why the big productions are working with him. We only have problems with amateurs because they cannot take good care or use their camera the way it must be. Tell me what kind of problem and the reason why tou did not contact Cameraspro to fix it under warranry...Maybe you drop the camera...And you did not want Cameraspro to see that !

There is no secret on how to convert a Bolex orEclair to Super 16mm. You cannot have any problem if you use it properly. If my conversions are good enough for Sonny Miller , his crew and the James Bond movie...I think you have a problem and not the camera

Thanks

Guy

Cameraspro

Sorry to say that but "Cameraspro" is THE worst place you could possibly send it to in the USA to get it converted!! I bought an already "converted" Super 16mm Bolex camera by Cameraspro and had to have it reconverted properly by jkcamera

I talk to Dieter 2 days ago and he told me that Jakko (JK Meritex) will stop his business ..He did not know when yet.

I also receive cameras from Dieter. He is not always happy with the collimation /viewfinder from JK and has to redo it. You must know what's going on before to incriminate the equipment or the technicians. Do not forget that those cameras have more than 30 yeas olds...By the wat, Visual Product uses cameraspro for conversions. They are real pros. Trust me.Bolex Switzerland will not stay in business either and they are expensive.

Shelton is closing, Optical Electro House will close too...Who will stay in business??

I just had my Rex5 converted through Dieter Schaeffer at ProCam. He uses JK Camera ONLY for S16 and they did a very nice job. I had to clean a few specks off the new GG from the machining, but everything is very crisp through the viefinder. Other than JK, sending it to Bolex in Switzerland is probably your best bet. Just my opinion...

If you find some metal parts outside the camera, what can you find inside??? You call that a nice job!Lol.

Cameraspro

I talk to Dieter 2 days ago and he told me that Jakko (JK Meritex) will stop his business ..He did not know when yet.

I also receive cameras from Dieter. He is not always happy with the collimation /viewfinder from JK and has to redo it. You must know what's going on before to incriminate the equipment or the technicians. Do not forget that those cameras have more than 30 yeas olds...By the wat, Visual Product uses cameraspro for conversions. They are real pros. Trust me.Bolex Switzerland will not stay in business either and they are expensive.

Shelton is closing, Optical Electro House will close too...Who will stay in business??

Good morning Mr Cameraspro,

You may find the information available in the "Forum Guidelines" section of interest and value, in particular the section:

Real Names Forum

Members on this forum are required to use their full real names for their Display Name.

The format to use is your first name followed by a space followed by your last/family/surname....

Read more: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules#ixzz1De1IEI80

...and given your enthusiasm this morning for multiple posts giving self-praise, promotion, and criticism of competitors - you may care to aquaint yourself with details such as...

Advertising in posts, trolling, and spamming are not tolerated. Paid advertising is encouraged.

I'm sure the forum admin will be glad to discuss formal advertisement arrangements with you. ;)

I did not incriminate anyone in my post, nor am I the one who criticized Cameraspro's workmanship. I simply related my own experience with Procam (Dieter) and JK. I am happy with the work that was done on my camera. Since Dieter has been the factory trained Bolex Technician for North America for the last forty years, I trust his experience. He has serviced all my equipment and always does a great job.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...