Seamus McGarvey & The Hours

DavidSloan

So I just finished watching The Hours, lensed by Seamus McGarvey BSC. I really LOVE what he did with the faces, in this movie. Lot's of soft modelling, and very glamourous, gentle lighting. But I had a big problem with the way he lights sets...this guy OVERLIGHTS like crazy (lots of double shadows!). Every single corner of the frame had a light on it...it was really frustrating after a while. He's a total wuss when it comes to interiors.

What do you guys think about this film, and his lighting?

Edited by DavidSloan

I've not seen the movie- McCarvey's stuff is very nice in general though.

For ther record, Seamus McCarvey is the youngest ever DP to enter the BSC.

• Premium Member

I enjoyed Seamus' work lighting interior scenes in "The War Zone", [especially the bunker scenes which had to be very difficult not only in terms of lighting but also due to the emotional tone of the story ] "Wit" [lots of interior hospital scenes] and the WWII era " Enigma" . I felt he did a great job with lighting on "The Hours", considering he was dealing with three very distinct time periods as well as three actresses at different ages and stages in their career; two of whom needed special attention due to age (Streep) and a prostethic nose (Kidman).

What interior scenes in particular did you feel he overlit? the modern day NY scenes or the LA 1950's interiors? What about the double shadows, what scenes? As for light hitting an object or subject and casting double shadows on walls in interiors [not on faces] I offer that this often occurs in real life [in a small room with more than one practical lamp in proximity to an object, or a room with many windows and light reflecting off floors etc ] and aren't always a result of sloppy or careless lighting.

And yes Tim is correct, he was the youngest cinematographer to ever be inducted into the BSC, I believe he was only 32. I'm looking forward to his work on "Sahara"