9 light Maxibrute

I live in a place that doesn't have a lot in regards to Lighting and grip... Anything over a 2K is non existent, forget 6K's, 12K's etc...

If you were to be filming a night shoot. What's the word on a 9 light maxibrute... Would two of these lights be good. What are the pros and cons?

These lights are worth 3000 dollars, and I'm thinking about purchasing them... That way I can also rent them out to whoever else needs a solution for night exteriors.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Premium Member

Bigger problem is powering them....

I think it's a 60amp bates connector on there, so you'd need a genny and/or a distro box you can tie i into for 'em.

They're big and bright, but you might be better served, on a low budget, by a bunch of PAR 64 fixtures. You can gang 'em together through some diffusion and get a big source (and the 9-lite basically is 9 PAR 64s) but you could conceivably run 'em off of put putts or a lot of stingers from existing locations.

Also, in terms of rental, you can break 'em up, and rent them here and there. Just my thought but again, I prefer having less "stuff" most of the time. This isn't to say that there isn't a place for the fixture, just that I always opt to buy the most versitile fixutres.

Yeah most (if not all) of them are 60 amps.

Also, they provide a lot of light, as in a wall of light, but they are not very good a focusing that light. So they are used to pump a lot of light into a set but they are somewhat limited otherwise, in my experience. I have never seen them used close to actors, mostly outside windows with heavy diffusion and in backgrounds and hanging from light grids far above the ground . . .

I live in a place that doesn't have a lot in regards to Lighting and grip... Anything over a 2K is non existent, forget 6K's, 12K's etc...

If you were to be filming a night shoot. What's the word on a 9 light maxibrute... Would two of these lights be good. What are the pros and cons?

These lights are worth 3000 dollars, and I'm thinking about purchasing them... That way I can also rent them out to whoever else needs a solution for night exteriors.

A con for this baby would be that you can use this light in steps of 9 by switching on or off the bulbs one at a time... so yes two would be great deep in the background racking across adding texture and depth.

9- and 12-light Maxi Brutes have either a 100amp bates plug, or 3x 60amp bates... A single 60A plug wouldn't hold 9k worth of lamps.

The 9-light FAY aka. Mini Brute has a 60A plug but it uses 650w Par36 lamps

9 light Fay Mini Brute is what I was thinking of, thanks for clarifying.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest a Barger Baglite. They're great for everything! But I'm a big fan of the maxibrute