Effects of the Internet on Networking With Others

Annie Wengenroth

I had this thought recently about how much easier it is to network and stay in touch with others due to the Internet. However, I find that it often seems like there's a lot of fluff to wade through and it's harder to tell if people are being genuine and honest.

How have each of you been affected by the Internet as a means of finding work or making valuable contacts? Do you think it has made things better, or do you think it has oversaturated the craft of filmmaking or made it more difficult to find others who are really willing to work hard?

I'm just curious. I know it's kind of a funny question but thought it would be interesting to hear how others have done and what they've accomplished as a result of being able to email back and forth or otherwise communicate more efficiently. I've been recently doing a lot of preproduction work on my own project with a few other people and the majority of it has been online through Instant Messenger of all things. Sometimes it works out for the better and sometimes I wish I had a way to set up video conferencing!

• Premium Member
I find that it often seems like there's a lot of fluff to wade through and it's harder to tell if people are being genuine and honest.

How is this different from real life? You must not work in Hollywood... <_<

I've gotten jobs, made many valuable contacts, and even friends as a result of the internet. But in the end it's just one more means of communication. It's just another medium.

But that's just the "people" aspect you were inquiring about. The access to information and education you get from it has no comparison.

• Premium Member

I started working before the invention of the World Wide Web, so it's impact has not so much been about building a career as it is a practical tool for working and learning. The CML, for example, has been an incredibly valuable resource for me and gotten me into regular contact with industry professionals at the top of their fields. This forum has allowed me to meet fellow filmmakers around the world, learn from them, and to hone my teaching and writing skills.

The internet has been a great pre-production tool for contacting people (like the crew, the director, etc.) and for research.

It's also great to be able to look up a director, producer, or crew members' credits on the imdb. Another great thing are DVD's with director's commentaries -- I've interviewed for jobs with some directors where I was able to listen to their audio commentary on their previous feature.

As a newbie the internet has been invaluable is a technical manual and communication device.

The most valuable thing as far as networking goes was a video art course at my community college last summer. The Prof. referred me to two writers and we started our own little group (start shooting our first feature Jan 8th) and many of the actors we are useing are in their video art course... we did get some people that are great by casting call posts on indieclub.com but we've met a lot of weirdos too. We have decided to not accept anymore people who we don't know personally, or don't have references we know personally.

example: We would post "Need crew for non paid feature DV production"

we get replys: "Suchandsuch Productions wants to team up...we're a film company, etc."

Suchandsuch Productions turns out to be a shady group who's "good" DV camera is in the shop

The "Good" DV camera turns out to be a 1ccd consumer retailing for about $300

Suchandsuch productions then wants total production control and directorial credit.

We reply that they are insaine

we get another guy "Highly experienced DP wants to take a look at your script"

We ask for footage

Highly experience DP has no footage

Highly experienced DP asks for $300 a day and "has access to" a DVX100

We say "umm no"

Highly experienced DP then says we're not dedicated to the project if we don't want to pay him.

We accidently send an email calling him a pompus a**ho**

etc, etc, etc

However if I need a technical question answered the internet is the place to go...expecially this forum. :)