Release Prints

Ernie Zahn

Where can I make a release print of say something from Super8 or DV onto 16mm? And or with an optical soundtrack? And or with color. I know one place but a dollar a foot for a 90 minute movie is just not happening. There must be a realistic way to do it. I've seen release prints go out on festivals like a common thing I can't imagine they're all paying that much. I mean a 90 minute movie at a dollar a foot comes out to somewhere around $3,600.00. So is there a more cost efficient way and or service that offers it?

I'm guessing from the lack of responses, no one here works with release prints. What do you do when you're submitting to a few festivals and more than one requires a print of the movie versus a telecined DV tape or DVD?

Check with these guys: DVfilm.com

They do filmouts and may be able to help.

• Premium Member
I'm guessing from the lack of responses, no one here works with release prints. What do you do when you're submitting to a few festivals and more than one requires a print of the movie versus a telecined DV tape or DVD?

Sure, I work with release prints. Most people going through the expense of a digital-to-film transfer are just going to go out to 35mm, which allows you better sound as well.

Most film recorders are designed to go to 35mm, so there are fewer places that transfer to 16mm. Image Transform (4MC) had a 16mm Electron Beam Recorder that transferred NTSC to three b&w 16mm negatives, which were then combined optically to create a 16mm or 35mm color master for printing. I don't know if they still offer this service.

Most festivals will either project video these days (and a place like Sundance would require you to bump it up to HD for digital projection, but other places will project standard video from a betacam tape, whatever they ask for) or 35mm prints.