Exposure for reversal film

Keagan Schopfer

Hello all

My name is Keagan Schopfer, and I'm an anthropology student in Canada. Some day I would like to combine anthropology and film making. I have had no experience shooting film, and have only shot a couple of shorts on MiniDV in a highschool video class. I have been captivated with film making since then, and am learning a great deal from the wonderful community on this forrum. Thanks to everybody here!

I have some Kodachrome I'm looking to shoot, and, after reading the thread on exposing negative film I was wondering if the same applies to colour reversal film. I'm going to be shooting outdoors, in full sunlight, and I want to get the most vibrant and rich colours possible, especially the trees and sky. (super saturated colours I think)

Am I correct in assuming that K-40 gives the most saturated colours for Super8?

Thanks!

K-40 will give you the best colors when it is well exposed. objects lit by a sunny day with the sun behind you for example. If your cameras light meter is accurate, its best to use that f-stop. K-40 has short latatude compared to most newer films, but still a lot more latatude than minDV. still avoid too much bright background in the frame.

• Premium Member
Don't overexpose reversal films, especially if you want to retain color saturation.  Overexposure will compress the highlights and desaturate the color, even if you time/grade the image to be darker.

Since projecting film is somewhat different from transferring film to video, does that rule hold for both scenarios in the exact same manner? I think if one is transferring to video it's important to not let too much black remain in the image. Yes the picture will look more saturated but there will be less luminence for the color to grab onto once it's become a video image.