filter advice

I know this topic should be in the "lenses and accessories" section but since it's a beginners' question i thought it was better posting it here.

so the question is : if i wanted some back lights to be overexposed but give a certain soft glow (when on characters) - just like when you overlay two identical frames in photoshop, one sharp and the other completely out of focus you get this sort of painting-like look. should i use white pro-mist for this effect ?

any advice is appreciated :)

thank you

so the question is : if i wanted some back lights to be overexposed but give a certain soft glow (when on characters)

Can you please give an example (picture, still from film, anything) of what you are looking after, because I can't fully understand what you mean by overexposing the back light. If you are looking to soften the light, you can either move the back light further away, use a diffusion filter or reflect the back light into a clean white surface (like flamingo or light reflectors).

Then you can use Adobe After Effects for creating that desired glowing effect, digitally.

should i use white pro-mist for this effect ?

Pro-Mist filters is screwed into the lens. The function of the filter is to excess sharpness and contrast and creates pearlescent glow around highlights. So it may work for you...

• Premium Member

Remember too that you could do the same effect in AE duplicating the layer, blurring it and bringing the opacity down on the top, sharp layer. Same as with stills.

Pro-mists, especially white, will give a glow when you hard-light a subject. They will milk up your darks a lot too.