First time using Super8 !

Andrzej Ford

Hi, hopefully I'm not repeating something that has been asked repeatedly and is becoming a pain for the longtime members. But in a week or so when i have finally chosen where to process the film and transfer it to telecine; I'm planning on using my Super8 camera for the first time.

The film I'm using is Ektachrome 64T and the camera is a Nizo Professional; my plan is to film outside shots and preferably when the weather and light picks up abit. And I plan on filming most likely the same shot to keep the same variable. But to change the exposure settings and test the zooming and make notes with the time intervals whilst doing so. I'll be doing this so when i get the film back I can see exactly what causes what when using my camera.

And finally to get to the point of making this post, i was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or advice about what to and not to do especially when first filming.

Also I've heard a few off comments about storing film and about using the fridge, but I was wondering if this would cause condensation if the films weren't instantly put in there?

Anyway thank you to anyone who decides to comment on this.

Andrzej

Hi Andrzej,

In terms of condensation, I get my delivered (at room temp) and then put it in the fridge or in the freezer if it's going to be longer than a week. You'll want to make sure that it returns to room temperature before you use it, usually an hour or so.

One other suggestions is to make sure you get a slate in your shots to ID the exposure, the stock, even the zoom that you're at and anything else you thing is important. Also, take notes of each shot. I would probably devote a reasonable amount of film to testing. In the long run you might save quite a bit of money if you're going to telecine. I would also consider using a tripod on a fixed chart to test that the film is running through the gate as designed.

Good luck,

Tom

• Premium Member

Also, don't forget to switch on your outdoor filter on your camera.

One important note (IMHO) when filming, if you're going to use the Auto-exposure...even if your camera meters for 64t, only get the base exposure of the area and switch your camera to manual exposure on the same exact reading if you are going to move your camera at all. This is one big difference maker in making your S8 footage looks Pro instead of amateur. If you don't switch to manual while panning or moving, the auto will keep changing your footage to be perfectly exposed instead of having an even, consistent, lighting pattern. This is my advice.