short film - processing/telecine?

Chris Lange

Hello,

I'm trying to come up with a budget for a short I will be shooting in the Spring. I will be using 3600 ft of film. Calling the labs is sort of giving me a headache. Each lab has differences in their total process. I'm not looking to go broke in this process, so yes, it's the cost to performance issue. And I will probably go standard definition, since I can't afford HD.

One lab offers cheaper processing, but has more phases to the tranfer, which results in more money in the end. This particular lab offers transfer to DV CAM. I would then have them tranfer the tape to a harddrive. Two extra costs in this final output are: the DV CAM tapes themselves and the tranfer to hard drive.

The other lab offers slightly more expensive processing, but is able to transfer directly to hardrive, reducing a step to the final, which overall, is less expensive.

However, the first lab has a better reputation.

Any thoughts on this issue?

Thanks,

Chris

Budgeting is always tough. However, I would guess you'll get your best value staying with a single source. The lab that can process and transfer should be able to distribute their costs and provide you with the best value. You should be able to get the 3600' processed and transferred to hard drive for $1500 to $2000. You don't mention if this is 16 or 35 (16 might be a little cheaper, not much at the lab, just less in stock and package rentals).

We would be happy to talk with you, discuss budget, determine the best way to do the project and meet your budget. I would think most labs would be open to the discussion. Good luck.