Bauer A512

Pavan Deep

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has opened this camera.

I want to get to the gate and take it out, file it wider and then replace it for a more widescreen frame. To get to the gate the only way seems to be via the back. I'm worried about the film guides on the right hand side of the gate, I dont want to loosen them or get them out of place, they seem to be held by a spring on the otherside behind the shuter wheel. If they come undone fixing them would mean opening the front of the camera, which seems like a major undertaking. Has anyone removed the gate from this camera without disturbing the guides?

P

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Late-generation Bauer cameras are not ideal for gate widening due to the way the film guides are attached with two micrometer screws and pressure excerted via the springs. The Bauer gates make Nizo gates look solid. Nevertheless, these Bauer cameras have excellent frame stability way superior to Nizo cameras despite the fragile construct.

Furthermore, because of the case shelf attachments on late-generation Bauers, doing this exercise through the cartridge compartment will inevitably lead to you dusting all over the optical prism and possible the viewfinder. Cleaning this out extremely difficult.

I strongly suggest to leave Bauer S709 and S715 XL microcomputer, the A 506, 508 and 512 as well as Bauer C 500 XML, 700 XML and 900 XML cameras alone vis-à-vis Super-Duper 8 or Ultra 8 widening scenarios.

I'm so glad that someone's responded, thanks. I have made the adjustment, I carefully took out the gate without disturbing the guides [must admit is was a very difficult thing to do], I then widened the gate ad placed it back and have just shot some stuff. I was reluctant as I had tried this a few years ago and managed to get the guides out of place which I couldn't fix myself. I did this to my Bauer 715, years ago it was much easier modification on that camera.

P