My 1st low budget, HD music video.

http://vimeo.com/7770278

I just shot this not too long ago with my HVX200a, Letus Extreme set up. Minimal camera set up from an extremely low budget. No accurate monitor, M.B, F.F. Just HVX and adapter.

I also color graded it. The editor crushed the blacks more after I handed the project back to him which I just found out.

The format of the video is DVCPro HD 720 24pn, edited/graded in FCP. Exported with H.264. Some over-crank was involved.

Lens choice were Nikon SLR primes because of low budget issues.

105mm macro

85mm f/1.8

50mm f/1.4

35mm f/2.0

My buddy Zafer Ulkücü was the gaffer. I cannot stress enough on how quick and efficient Zafer is. We rented seven lights from friends to cut corners. While we were on set we discovered that 3 of 7 lights were unusable yet everything still worked.

Luis Vega is the director, talent and producer.

Geoff Morris edited the video.

Brad Fuller is my 1st A.C

Make up, not sure who it was.

We did this with a extremely small budget. Somewhere in between 500 - 700.

What do you like / not like about the cinematography and color grading. Lue, Geoff and I love constructive criticism.

Edited by Nicholas A Micros

• Premium Member

Ha, who owns the porche?

Looks good. I'd've liked a little more lighting verisimilitude for the performances in front of the velvet curtain, some side lighting or the like as opposed to just keeping it frontal for both the performer and the dancing girls and there's a little bit of blue pollution in the color correction on the performer's head in the ext pull back. Aside from that looks good. Which adapter were you on?

Ha, who owns the porche?

Looks good. I'd've liked a little more lighting verisimilitude for the performances in front of the velvet curtain, some side lighting or the like as opposed to just keeping it frontal for both the performer and the dancing girls and there's a little bit of blue pollution in the color correction on the performer's head in the ext pull back. Aside from that looks good. Which adapter were you on?

Originally, there was much more overall detail on the velvet curtain in camera and while I was grading the footage. But the editor darkened the overall music video after I finished grading. Making more of that vignette on the curtain than I wanted. I believe the director liked that and it was done without me knowing. So it is what it is. Yet, if you notice, the performers white button up shirt is clipping in front of the curtain. I'm glad that you didn't notice that. The blue pollution that was on his forehead is from my grading, yet I never wanted that but didn't have "color" or a real grading application to properly achieve the look wanted.

The adapter was a Letus Extreme, which looses a half a stop of light and restrict the SLR lens f stop to be below 5.6 or the sensor of the camera will pick of information of ground glass. All together my ISO was somewhere in between 100-200 depending on my gamma setting and stop.

• Premium Member

Ahh the old Letus. I had one and sold it (and ironically just got off of the phone talking about one with a director). I did notice the shirt, but it wasn't really that distracting to me, given the overall look of the video. I don't really mean darker or lighter on the curtain; rather just a little more of a change of lighting between the girls v the performer. The performer looks great, but the girls could use a little rim, a little softer light and a little bit less frontal i'd say. Now, that's just me, and of course it doesn't look bad, none of it looks bad. And I doubt anyone would notice the blue; just one of those things i almost immediately look for in those type shots, I've done it before too, sneaking it onto foreheads a little bit without anyone being the wiser. But, without a proper color suite there's no real way (easily) 'round it. Ahh directors, the cause of and solution to all of our DoP problems ;)

The performer looks great, but the girls could use a little rim, a little softer light and a little bit less frontal i'd say.

Right, I see what you are saying and agree. I did not notice the hardish key on the girls while shooting. I am still training my eye, last September marked my first year anniversary as an amateur cinematographer. I got a long way to go without a mentor or film school. Number 1 reason why this board is so important to guys like me.

Thanks for the input!

• Premium Member

Anytime and I'd say you're off to a very good start. See if you can get your hands on a nice film camera (s8mm or the like) if you haven't and give a try to a full film workflow. Best way to cut your teeth IMHO and if you're ever back 'round phila, feel free to look me up.

• 2 months later...