Situational Lighting questions

How does movement work during a 3-point lighting setup?

If you were interviewing someone and had to deal with multiple light sources, what would be the best way to deal with this?

What should you take into consideration when rigging lights?

Where can I read more about the 3 characteristics of light; quality, intensity & temperature?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Ha Dan, Classic! Though 2nd as a recommendation.

Movement in a 3 point lighting setup depends on the set up, in terms of shadows etc. But there's no reason why one can't move... you just work out the shadows if they bother you..

Multiple light sources... turn some off! or overpower them, or use the multiple sources, or make them stronger, or a billion other things, depending on what you're doing, how, and why .

SAFETY! for PEOPLE FIRST, and lights/equipment second.

As mentioned by Dan. Also just look at lighting around you and the intensity, mood, quality of it, how it effects you and experiment with recreating it on set.

Guest Glen Alexander
Where can I read more about the 3 characteristics of light; quality, intensity & temperature?

Thanks!

Study the masters of capturing light, the impressionists like Seurat, Signat, Cezanne, Pissaro, Renoir. See things in a different way.

Edited by Glen Alexander

Light has four characteristics... Quality, intensity, color, AND placement.

To me, true three point lighting is only used in interviews, but the same principals of three point lighting are used in every single lighting setup: key light, fill light, and back light. It's just how you use these lights and how you adjust each light that changes how a setup works.