HDcam with imac

Aki Ikeno

Hi, I'm using I mac with latest final cut pro.

Lately I have asked to edit HDcam source.

As I don't have mac pro ad Aja kona3..etc I would like to know if there's any way I can capture HDcam.

I have a SonyF900 HDcam by the way. I cannot afford to buy all of things but I'm thinking to purchase if there's any HD-SDTI inerface device with ilink or something? If it does, how much would be cost?

Thanks in advance

Per the rules of this forum, please go to My Controls and change your screen name to your first and last name

My suggestion is to send the HDCam out and have it transferred to an ext Hard Drive. I receive all my HDCam SR footage on a Drive.

Hi David,

Thanks for a reply.

What do I need to transfer HDcam source to hard drive? Aja loHD will help?

Thanks.

• Premium Member

Assuming the camera will play the tape back to SDI output, you could possibly you could do it with an IoHD. You would then be re-compressing it from HDCAM to DVCPRO-HD. You could also take your HDCAM tape to a postproduction facility and have them transfer it onto a firewire disk for you. This can be expensive. On the other hand an IoHD may be a bit expensive for you, so consider your options.

Really, an iMac is a pretty basic piece of hardware with which to do this sort of work. I you are just doing straight cuts and no advanced effects, you might be OK, though.

P

Hi David,

Thanks for a reply.

What do I need to transfer HDcam source to hard drive? Aja loHD will help?

Thanks.

You''ll need an HDcam Deck to start.. I have a post house do mine. Give them the Tape and a Firewire Drive (as Phil suggested) and let them do it. Call around for pricing. Beg.

Good Luck!

Assuming the camera will play the tape back to SDI output, you could possibly you could do it with an IoHD. You would then be re-compressing it from HDCAM to DVCPRO-HD. You could also take your HDCAM tape to a postproduction facility and have them transfer it onto a firewire disk for you. This can be expensive. On the other hand an IoHD may be a bit expensive for you, so consider your options.

Really, an iMac is a pretty basic piece of hardware with which to do this sort of work. I you are just doing straight cuts and no advanced effects, you might be OK, though.

P

Thanks a lot for response.

Yeah, I know we should buy Mac pro and Kona3...etc it's just all suden so I have to figure out the best way and I'm not really editing guy yet

Editing can be really simple and need to add subtitle.

I need to rent HDcam deck if they need me to online with HDcam. I think they do...

I might rent macbook pro for cheap. Does macbook pro work with HDcam if I use IOHD or any other device?

If is there any better way, please let me know.

Thanks.