Arri SR charger (NCL SR III)

konstantin smola

• Premium Member
Today I got my Arri SR2 HS.

Konstantin,

Congratulations on your new camera.

It's been years since I used one of those ARRI chargers, but if memory serves, you plug one charger cable into the center socket when you are only charging one battery (instead of two). I don't remember if it then charges the one battery faster, or you do it so the charger doesn't get damaged by only loading one charger cable.

Sorry I don't remember it more clearly.

Best,

-Tim

Konstantin,

Congratulations on your new camera.

It's been years since I used one of those ARRI chargers, but if memory serves, you plug one charger cable into the center socket when you are only charging one battery (instead of two). I don't remember if it then charges the one battery faster, or you do it so the charger doesn't get damaged by only loading one charger cable.

Sorry I don't remember it more clearly.

Best,

-Tim

Thanks!

I tried to charge the batteries, and it seemed to work correctly.

But when I let the charger cool down again (unplug and wait a few minutes) I can charge the batteries again - Plug everything in, both LEDs light up and the Batteries get warm. After a few hours the LEDs go off. I could repeat that a dozen times. But when are the Batteries fully charged?

Thanks!

• Premium Member

Again, I'm a little fuzzy on this, but if memory serves, the charger has a built in timer. It is not like some of the latest chargers which sense the battery's charge and adjust accordingly.

IIRC the timer starts a charging cycle when you plug the charger into the wall and the battery into the charger. It charges for a set period of time, then shuts off, regardless of what charge the battery has. Get yourself a volt meter to check the charge on the batteries. When they get low, run a charging cycle with the charger. I used to run a charging cycle with my SR batteries once a month when the camera was not in use, and more frequently when the camera was being used.

Best,

-Tim

Again, I'm a little fuzzy on this, but if memory serves, the charger has a built in timer. It is not like some of the latest chargers which sense the battery's charge and adjust accordingly.

IIRC the timer starts a charging cycle when you plug the charger into the wall and the battery into the charger. It charges for a set period of time, then shuts off, regardless of what charge the battery has. Get yourself a volt meter to check the charge on the batteries. When they get low, run a charging cycle with the charger. I used to run a charging cycle with my SR batteries once a month when the camera was not in use, and more frequently when the camera was being used.

Best,

-Tim

That sounds good! Thanks for the hint!

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

Tim is correct, the charger has a timer. Unplugging the unit for 15 seconds or so resets it. By plugging one lead into the centre socket the unit switches to a fast charge cycle.