Scott Dreams

Justin Hayward

• Premium Member

I might have posted this before, but I can’t remember. It just occurred to me tonight, so…

I dreamt I was hired as a DP on the latest Ridley Scott film, which for some reason was to be shot on a remote island with zero crew – just me, Ridley, and an actor (of course I can’t remember who, let’s just say it was Russell Crowe). For whatever reason, it took three separate helicopter rides to get to the remote island location. When the final helicopter finally dropped us off, they just left.

We were alone for the shoot. It was me, the actor, and Ridley Scott, that’s it.

We set up everything and just before we were ready to pull the trigger, I realized I forgot my light meter.

• Premium Member

Cool dream. My first film teacher, Bob Osterling, would ask us often, "What kind of day is it?" What he was asking was what f-stop was the light outside? His standard was Plus-X. He figured if we could judge that, we could adjust for anything and get by without meters in daylight... and we did.

Well Justin so all you have is natural light then by your description.

I assume you'll be shooting 5201 or 8522? In full sun set for F16, over cast 5.6, all of your shots will be in perfect exposure under this plan. ;)

And I didn't need a light meter. The light meter always reads the same under these conditions, so why do I need it? With 35mm you can be off 1 stop and still be just fine.

R,

I often have film type dreams. Once I had a dream that was the sequal to forbidden planet. It was a great movie! I'm a bit strange in that sometimes I have dreams in which I don't feature at all and sometimes that I have dreams in which I only feature for a short time.

I also saw this great David Cronenberg movie called "counterparts" which was shot on really nasty digital video. I'm thinking of making it, although it was quite complicated and I can only remember parts of it and I feel guilty about stealing David cronenbergs movie when he is still alive and hasn't had a chance to make it yet but then I figure he probably isn't going to make it anyway. Thats how I justify it to myself anyhow. Wish I had written more details down. I just wrote notes thinking that I would remember exactly what I meant but now they seem a bit cryptic. Funny how you can't remember dreams so well even if you remembered them after they happened.

I'm not going to be able to shoot the sequal to forbidden planet as it was all in technicolour scope and was quite big budget.

Oh yes and I saw an animated version of Mog the forgetful cat, done by the same people as percy the park keeper, tho sadly I only caught the last few seconds and the end credits. It was a christmas film and it was all set in the snow and at the end mog is dressed in a sort of outfit, slightly puss in boots only very modern, and he is going off somewhere after having saved the day. A bit like the whole "wandering jew" type thing maybe. Of course this is nothing at all like the real mog the forgetfull cat but I think it was very interesting. I WAS in that dream, mog the forgetful cat was on the telly. It's good that it was ending anyway as I had to go somewhere and it would have been a dilema otherwise. Actually I've never had an animated dream so far!

love

Freya