Aspiring cinematography student question about photography

I'm new here so hello to everybody. Sorry for my english, I'm not native speaker.

I'm planning to go to film shool next year as my dream is to become a cinematographer. I'm totally green and I've read here that the best way is to start with photography to learn about exposure, lighting, composition etc.

My question is, which type of camera, SLR or Rangefinder is better for that? I want totally manual camera because I want to learn every aspect of taking a photo and I love the look of old rangefinders. I think that 8mm movie cameras are also based on rangefinders, not sure about 16mm and 35mm. I will be greatly thankful if someone could help me with this.

• Premium Member
I'm totally green and I've read here that the best way is to start with photography to learn about exposure, lighting, composition etc.

Anything that you can get lenses for. Nikon's a good way to go. Ebay has plenty of bodies and lenses. An F3 would serve you the rest of your life. I love my FM2.

SLR will better suit your needs in learning than a rangefinder

You dont need The Camera but it certainly wont hurt - and perhaps The Negative might be a bit full on to begin with, but if you can get your head around it then you're going to MUCH BETTER placed, but get ready to be bored...

Lighting certainly - get into it !

Pretty sure he meant to say all manual... I've owned a few pentax slr's, the lenses are good, cheap, and available on eBay. I would recommend getting an incident light meter as well to practice.

Yes, all manual is what I meant to say. I was probably thinking of a machine gun when I wrote full auto...

The AE-1 can go all manual or semi-auto depending on the lens. For learning purposes, one should stay away from anything that does the thinking for you.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thank you all, great advices! On another forum I was told to think about DSLR because they can shoot videos and photos but it's way above my budget now.

I have to mention that I'm applying to film school in the next year. I have no chances in this year because at this moment I don't even know how to hold a camera and there is about 10 people on 1 place. They also require sample photos. So I think the best way is to start with cheap SLR, learn basics of still photography, in the meantime read books on cinematography, then in december buy DSLR (i think prices will drop till then) and apply to school in june. It will require some work but the competition is strong. Am I going in the right direction?

So I think the best way is to start with cheap SLR, learn basics of still photography, in the meantime read books on cinematography, then in december buy DSLR (i think prices will drop till then) and apply to school in june. It will require some work but the competition is strong. Am I going in the right direction?

What's your justification for purchasing the DSLR? Would you be shooting video to submit with your application? If so, consider the rolling shutter issue (if it hasn't been fixed by December) and how it would greatly affect your shot design.

I think you have a good plan for pre-college studies, but you should find out as much as you can about your school's preferences when it comes to admissions. What kind of content do they prefer, and in what medium? Do they expect video from prospective film students expressing a goal to become cinematographers, do they want to see narrative work or beauty shots, and is photography acceptable?

• Premium Member

Part os the use of doing a film SLR is exactly because of the costs , at least in my own opinion, it makes you think about what you're shooting and how you're shooting so as not to waste money. While there is something ot be said about "shoot everything," I think that in training to be a shooter, it's much better to be cognizant of how much each exposure will cost you.

Ok so now it's time to choose the SLR camera. I've decided that my DSLR camera in the future will be something from canon (5d or 7d) so the wise move would be to buy a SLR from Canon because of lenses compatibility but I heard that the older lenses from manual Canons are not workind with the new Canon DSLR cameras.

Generally what do you think of buying better SLR with better lenses system that I can use in the future on my DSLR instead of cheap one just for learning purposes? If I buy something better like Nikon FM2N I can start collecting lenses for my next DSLR from Canon (with use of adapter). Are the Nikon F mount lenses much better then M42 mount lenses?

In the school I'm going to apply to they do everything on film, not on digital, but I want digital camera for my personal use because I can't afford a film movie camera, even 8mm ones are quite expensive in Europe.

Thanks for replies, really appreciate your help.

• Premium Member
Ok so now it's time to choose the SLR camera. I've decided that my DSLR camera in the future will be something from canon (5d or 7d) so the wise move would be to buy a SLR from Canon because of lenses compatibility but I heard that the older lenses from manual Canons are not workind with the new Canon DSLR cameras.

Generally what do you think of buying better SLR with better lenses system that I can use in the future on my DSLR instead of cheap one just for learning purposes? If I buy something better like Nikon FM2N I can start collecting lenses for my next DSLR from Canon (with use of adapter).

Old manual Canon lenses are not compatible with modern EF mount lenses. You'd be better off with manual Nikon, M42, or Pentax K lenses and getting adapters for them when you get your Canon DSLR. I've had good luck with Fotodiox adapters off of eBay.