16mm switar RX lens

kevin jackman

• Premium Member

All the Kern primes cover S16 - or i haven't come across a RX lens that vignetted or cached.

The 10mm are close to chromatic abberations but it still is okay. On the other end all the usual older vario lenses do vignette on the wide end, most of them go right to the middle of the whole range with a pothole effect making them completely unusable.

• Premium Member
does anyone know if it covers super16?

Hi Kevin,

I just purchased one of those lenses myself. I spoke to Deiter Schaefer at ProCam (Bolex USA) and he told me the Switar 16mm RX will definitely cover Super 16.

-Fran

Hi Kevin,

I just purchased one of those lenses myself. I spoke to Deiter Schaefer at ProCam (Bolex USA) and he told me the Switar 16mm RX will definitely cover Super 16.

-Fran

heythaks for the info guys. what is caching? as for the 10mm, i have the preset version with the wide angle attatchement and i was told most of them vignette. why the chromatic aberation? i would have thought the lens wourk work properly at least in standard 16.

and the 16mm rx lens is sharp right to the edges? wide open, seriously? it would be nice to know all of my presets were really super16 safe...now i just need to find out how to make them work on the eclair!?

• Premium Member

Hi Kevin,

I have no idea what Oliver is referring to. I've never heard the term "cached" in regard to lens performance. Maybe give Deiter at ProCam in Prscott, AZ a call, he can better explain the coverage capability of the Switar preset lenses. His number is 928/708-9901.

-Fran

• Premium Member

Hello again,

Kevin, you asked to specify this...

By caching i just mean matting (very hard). Just an example: The word was commonly used in postproduction when a 1.33 frame was given a letterbox cache (black frames on top and bottom). Now when a DP did not take care and the matte box was too far out then it cached the frame. See the translation here. Yes, is french.

(OT: Michael Haneke has made a movie named "Caché". Also like that one.)

So I'm gonna repeat here / explain further. Regarding the Bolex lenses S16 performance i have experienced different levels.

1. Full cover - bright from left to right, no vignetting - no chromatic abb. (all Switar RX lenses above 25mm should have full cover)

2. A slightly darker, fading to slightly to grey in the viewfinder with maybe 1 stop light loss to the edges and possible chromatic abb.

this is what my 10mm (old type) has and the Schneider 16mm has it also. I don't know about the Switar 16 RX - i don't have one.

3. The lens barrel mattes (or caches) the frame. A hard border, pothole, can be seen inside the S16 area which in standard 16 isn't there at any f-stop. These lenses are unusable for S16. Most Zooms are.

Here are my lenses and their S16 usability on a factory converted H16EL:

Kinoptik 5.6 (collimated for RX) = 2

Kinoptik 9.5 (with Arri adaptor) = 1

Zeiss 8mm (with Arri adaptor) = a sad 3

Kern 10mm (old SwitarRX) = 2

Schneider 16mm (RX) = 2

Schneider 25mm (RX) = 2

Kern 26mm Macro = 1

Kern 50mm Macro = 1

all above also have full cover.

Mostly i don't care / even like the bit darker corners in wider angles. If i don't want it i go with the Arri adaptor instead.

Hope this helps, good luck filming with the Bolex - i just love these little bastards. Enjoy. Oliver

Hello again,

Kevin, you asked to specify this...

By caching i just mean matting (very hard). Just an example: The word was commonly used in postproduction when a 1.33 frame was given a letterbox cache (black frames on top and bottom). Now when a DP did not take care and the matte box was too far out then it cached the frame. See the translation here. Yes, is french.

(OT: Michael Haneke has made a movie named "Caché". Also like that one.)

So I'm gonna repeat here / explain further. Regarding the Bolex lenses S16 performance i have experienced different levels.

1. Full cover - bright from left to right, no vignetting - no chromatic abb. (all Switar RX lenses above 25mm should have full cover)

2. A slightly darker, fading to slightly to grey in the viewfinder with maybe 1 stop light loss to the edges and possible chromatic abb.

this is what my 10mm (old type) has and the Schneider 16mm has it also. I don't know about the Switar 16 RX - i don't have one.

3. The lens barrel mattes (or caches) the frame. A hard border, pothole, can be seen inside the S16 area which in standard 16 isn't there at any f-stop. These lenses are unusable for S16. Most Zooms are.

Here are my lenses and their S16 usability on a factory converted H16EL:

Kinoptik 5.6 (collimated for RX) = 2

Kinoptik 9.5 (with Arri adaptor) = 1

Zeiss 8mm (with Arri adaptor) = a sad 3

Thank you for the info. I have a full set of RX lenses. I am hoping none of them cache and have sharp images from corner to corner. I keep hearing the preset switar doesn't cover which makes me think adding the ashpheron wide angle lens only makes matters worse. I wish I had a digital camera and adaptor to test it all out before burning film. If this works I want to explore getting a bk7 lens adaptor to use it on non bolex cameras. This would be a spacer with the same type of glass and thickness as the bolex prism (minus the prism aspect) so that it would fit between the camea and lens. The purpose is to make it so the lens can be wide open without getting chromatic abberation.

As for the zeiss 8mm, I'm assuming you are saying the edges of the casing protrude enough for the image to get cached? I'm surprised becausethe front element seems to be pretty flat with the edges of the barrel. That or I'm not fully understanding the definition. I understand caching as the edge of the lens acting as an unwanted matte box and cutting into the image area...something I assumed the 16mm RX switar would suffer in spades!

Kern 10mm (old SwitarRX) = 2

Schneider 16mm (RX) = 2

Schneider 25mm (RX) = 2

Kern 26mm Macro = 1

Kern 50mm Macro = 1

all above also have full cover.

Mostly i don't care / even like the bit darker corners in wider angles. If i don't want it i go with the Arri adaptor instead.

Hope this helps, good luck filming with the Bolex - i just love these little bastards. Enjoy. Oliver