Recommended Panning Speeds

Is there a mathematical formula to calculate maximum panning speed? My ASC manual has some charts that outline the max. degrees per second recommended for panning a 35mm, but I was wondering if there is a formula to determine the max pan speed for other formats, focal lengths, shutter angles, and frame rates?

Thanks,

Is there a mathematical formula to calculate maximum panning speed? My ASC manual has some charts that outline the max. degrees per second recommended for panning a 35mm, but I was wondering if there is a formula to determine the max pan speed for other formats, focal lengths, shutter angles, and frame rates?

Thanks,

I'm sure there may be a formula for panning speed, but the real question is dose it look good?

Dose it work with whats going on? Though it is useful to understand and take apart the elements why things look good. it is important realize that it is not a computer watching the result but a human so go by your judgment. If it feels to fast. then it's too fast. What feels too fast for one thing may not feel fast for another. for example a whip pan is very fast usefull for switching back and forth to action in a high energy scene but horrible if you shooting a landscape.

so here is you formula practice + experience + observation = Panning speed

There were some elaborate tables about but Samuelsons' manual used to state minimum times for an object to cross the field of view of 5 seconds for flat and 7 seconds for 'scope.

Thanks, all the data I've been able to collect basically says the same thing -- 5 seconds to cross. The tables in the ACS manual are very specific and I was hoping someone could point me to the formula used to calculate the data. Not to mention it's a home work assignment for one of my classes, and I've had a heck of a time finding any information that actually alludes to how those numbers were reached -- let alone an actual equation. Don't suppose you have a link to those elaborate tables?

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks, all the data I've been able to collect basically says the same thing -- 5 seconds to cross. The tables in the ACS manual are very specific and I was hoping someone could point me to the formula used to calculate the data. Not to mention it's a home work assignment for one of my classes, and I've had a heck of a time finding any information that actually alludes to how those numbers were reached -- let alone an actual equation. Don't suppose you have a link to those elaborate tables?

My guess it would be something along the lines of:

(speed of subject)*(shutter speed)/(frame rate)

The problem is there are a bunch of impacting variables, such as interlaced vs progressive. I would suggest spend a day with your camera and conduct an experiment.

best,

Ari.