Telecine - Blacks

karmchawla

Hi. I am shooting a music video in S16. After the video is has been shot there is no optical blow up just a telecine transfer. I will probably be using the Fuji Eterna VIVID 500. Also my usual practice is to to over expose say rate the film at 320 and then print it down. However this time i am not going for a print. So i was wondering if i should indeed carry on the same procedure in the tele cine to get richer blacks as i am guessing the same logic of getting a denser negative does apply here to. However there is no print so does it make a difference in the telecine process. Please let me know asap as the shoot date is fast approaching. Thank you. Regards - Karm

• Premium Member

Hi Karm,

First, please go to My Controls above and change your user name to your real name like so, "First Last" - it's part of the forum rules here. The users thank you in advance.

Second, while moderate overexpose will capture more shadow detail for the telecine, be aware that an overly dense negative can cause unwanted noise in the highlights. So unless your are shooting a low-key scene with critical shadow detail, you may want to only overexpose by 1/3 stop, rather than 2/3.