Ahh Craigslist, always good for a chuckle...

Jonathan Bowerbank

Came across this one today. Says they're shooting on 35mm, and yet they need a Data tech? Nevermind its copy/credit/meal status :)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cwg/1612014409.html

Title: "GOZA"

Genre: HORROR

Shot on: 35mm

We have the following open positions:

2 P.A Position

Boom Operator

Key Grip

4 Grips

2 Best boy

1 Data Transfer Assistant

Please reply via ***********@gmail.com

Compensation:

Credit

Copy/Reel

Food

Gas

• Premium Member

Well Jon, seems like they are just trying to save a few bucks - you see, the data tech's job is to remove the exposed film from the mag and instead of canning it out, he laboriously cuts out each frame by hand and feeds them one at a time into the CF card reader, thus saving thousands of dollars in processing and telecine costs. Very time consuming process though, I won't do it for less than $1000/day. :P

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Aren't you in this for the love? I've mentioned this before but I did so many free jobs, I started asking for furniture and kitchen appliances. They thought I was nuts but I reasoned that my skills should be worth a blender at the very least. I did have a producer who couldn't pay me, give me a Saab with a blown Turbo. That was an experience.

...he laboriously cuts out each frame by hand and feeds them one at a time into the CF card reader...

There's also a huge kit fee for "SORTKWIK" finger moistener and a rubber finger tip for shuffling through them. Also, if they want Aatoncode punched into each frame, that's an extra thou ;)

• Premium Member
You guys should be ashamed of yourselves. Aren't you in this for the love? I've mentioned this before but I did so many free jobs, I started asking for furniture and kitchen appliances. They thought I was nuts but I reasoned that my skills should be worth a blender at the very least. I did have a producer who couldn't pay me, give me a Saab with a blown Turbo. That was an experience.

So what did you do with all those blenders, Tom?

I for one would like to hear your "Saab story." :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist! *walks away shamefaced*)

• Premium Member
I for one would like to hear your "Saab story." :lol: (Sorry, couldn't resist! *walks away shamefaced*)

Actually, that's one of the best ones I've seen here in a long time....

And as I sit here typing, what's on my iTunes but "Vesti la Giubba" :-)

-- J.S.

I don't think you shouldn't get paid because you do it for the love. unless you do it as a hobbies aside from your job you have for you income.

By that account supermodles who do it for the love should work for free, and bin men should be paid millions as they probably hate what they do.

I have to pay the bills and eat so I don't feel bad at all in any way for asking for money. I too worked for free to learn my trade, I don't think that was right but i did it, and it seems to be the way to go for most people.

If your a trainee plumper or mercanic you still get paid! not getting paid whilst your training in film is an exception to the rule, not the rule! And just because a job is horrible dosn't mean you get paid loads, and just because you love your job dosn't mean you should work for free. Especially when you spent hard eared cash on a degree and training and working every hour god sends to train up and make contacts.

I think the point of poking fun at this add was to point out (free or not) is, would the experience you got from working on it be of any use, would you intern be learning from anyone with any valuable experience them selves?

Good idea on the alternate method of getting paid. I used to take lighting jells cutt offs and props and consumables from freebies as form of payment (with permission of corse)

and excuse my little rant:p

So what did you do with all those blenders, Tom?

It's too long but I will give you the abridged version. I got the car and made the mistake of having the engine rebuilt because it was a cool car. I had driven it across country to North Carolina. In Santa Rosa New Mexico, it broke down. There wasn't even a fuel pump for it in the entire state of NM. I was at the Motel 6 for a week. On my return trip, I raced hurricane Floyd across the state. Floyd won. In the dark of night I drove up to my door window in water. Using the clutch and the starter, I backed out 5 feet at a time and finally got on flat ground where I could bail out the water. The Saab computer is under the passenger seat and was soaked. As it oxidated, I dropped a cylinder a day until I rolled into Albuquerque. I was going to leave my car and rent a van but when I picked it up all they had was 5-ton. With the aid of a flat bet tow truck, I rolled my Saab into the back of the truck with an inch clearence and drove back to LA. I have a great picture of my car int he back of the truck somewhere. It was a miserable and costly journey.

It's too long but I will give you the abridged version. I got the car and made the mistake of having the engine rebuilt because it was a cool car. I had driven it across country to North Carolina. In Santa Rosa New Mexico, it broke down. There wasn't even a fuel pump for it in the entire state of NM. I was at the Motel 6 for a week. On my return trip, I raced hurricane Floyd across the state. Floyd won. In the dark of night I drove up to my door window in water. Using the clutch and the starter, I backed out 5 feet at a time and finally got on flat ground where I could bail out the water. The Saab computer is under the passenger seat and was soaked. As it oxidated, I dropped a cylinder a day until I rolled into Albuquerque. I was going to leave my car and rent a van but when I picked it up all they had was 5-ton. With the aid of a flat bet tow truck, I rolled my Saab into the back of the truck with an inch clearence and drove back to LA. I have a great picture of my car int he back of the truck somewhere. It was a miserable and costly journey.

Now you gunna have to post the picks I have to see this.