Staying in NYC

DanStewart

Hi,

I'm planning a jaunt over to the Big Apple, haven't got a clue what it costs to stay there. I don't mind being out of the way a bit, and am looking to stay a month or whatever I can afford.

Can anyone from that part of the world give me an idea what an room / flat/ cardboard box would cost? Don't worry I live in London you can't shock me <_<

Is $100 a week out of the question?

Much appreciated,

Cheers

Dan

$400 a month is pretty tough.

If you dont mind living in outskirts of Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn (Brooklyn is very expensive these days) you'll probably find one not too far off. Check out nytimes.com and search under sublets. For 600 a month you should be able to find something, but who knows you can be lucky.

Theres also lots of flyers everywhere so you should be able to find something.

If you want to live somewhere decent I say 800.

If you want to live by yourself (which I dont think is the case) good luck.

hope this helps

• Premium Member

Hi,

It isn't anything LIKE the most expensive city. 800 US is about 530 Sterling, and rental here is more than that. You'd pay that PER WEEK for an even vaguely decent place in a part of London that is as close to the centre as Brooklyn is to say Manhattan.

Phil

I'll be in NYC for a week beginning on Wed., March 3rd. Mitch, Bill, George or anyone up for meeting for a drink or lunch? Let me know.

Sounds great. The little NY Showbiz Expo (I'm guessing 2-3 hours is all I'll need) runs from March 4-6. The weekend isn't good for me--perhaps we could meet at the Hotel Pennsylvania (across from Penn Station/Madison Square Garden). Perhaps we could meet there and then head out. Thursday is best for me. The Expo ends at 7pm--sound good to people?

Guest Ultra Definition

Once you get there, get a paper and check classifieds for hotels, apartments to share, roommates. You'll get the best deals. Used to you could get this in the classifieds of NY Times. I was looking for a place there few years back because I did not want to stay with my father, although he lived in Manhattan. I went to see a place and 2 nice normal looking guys interviewed me. I passed the interview; then they asked me if I don't mind that they're gay. So I got the next place.

You may be able to do search on Google for newspapers, roommate services. NY Times probably has online classifieds. You may be able to arrange for everything by email.

I think that you'll have hard time finding anything under $1000 a month unless you want to stay in the Spanish Harlem or in the burroughs. Now, when it comes to Harlem, no matter what skin color you have; don't stay there.

I think that Tokyo is the most expensive place.

I went to see a place and 2 nice normal looking guys interviewed me. I passed the interview; then they asked me if I don't mind that they're gay. So I got the next place.

Let's not add gay-bashing to this site please. If you have a problem sharing an apartment with gay men then you should keep that to yourself. I had a gay roommate in college and he was a great guy. He & I both jokingly promised no orgies in the living room and there was never any issues. Statistically speaking, there are likely at least a few gay members of this forum community.

Guest Ultra Definition

I have gay friends; nothing against gays; it's just that I was too young and I freaked out. Where's the gay bashing?

It was fun to finally meet some of the names I've been reading on this site for years. Thanks to Mitch Gross for coordinating the gathering. What a pleasure it was meeting George and Mitch. It's good to have faces to place with the names. It was terrific New York hospitality. Good to see you again as well David. Best of luck with your Philly project. You'll have a great time there. Hopefully this will not be the only time that we'll get together. All the best...

Now, when it comes to Harlem, no matter what skin color you have; don't stay there.

Obviously from someone who hasn't been to New York in awhile. Harlem is drastically changing. I have a lot of friends who live there, and its not bad at all.

You can still find a lot of space at an ok price in Harlem, but that is quickly changing as gentrification is taking over.

• Premium Member

Just for the record...and because I was curious....

World's 10 Most expensive cities

1. Tokyo

2. Moscow

3. Osaka

4. Hong Kong

5. Beijing

6. Geneva

7. London

8. Seoul

9. Zurich

10. New York

(Mercer Human Resource Consulting)

Guest Ultra Definition

I haven't been to Harlem for ages. I just remember getting off on a wrong subway station and what was the scarriest was the way from the train to the street. It was long, dark and dirty and there was water running everywhere. Still not as scarry as walking in Mexico when the lights didn't work. All you hear are Spanish voices. I walked with some dancer. She totally freaked out and decided to pray to God real loud, in her native language, English. I couldn't shut her up.

I haven't been to Harlem for ages. I just remember getting off on a wrong subway station and what was the scarriest was the way from the train to the street. It was long, dark and dirty and there was water running everywhere.

That was Harlem in the Reagan era... quite different today.

that list is amazing...moscow, beijing? who knew?

yeah as far as harlem goes it may be the place to move right now. i know people living alone paying 600-700 bucks who are pretty happy about it. i pay more than that and have two roomates in the east village.

among other places i've lived in boston, phoenix and salisbury, MD and in each one i was attacked for racial reasons, but as long as you're not pointing a camera at people, harlem is pretty hospitable.

jk :ph34r:

Being a Jewish white guy living in Harlem for more than 15 years I must say that it is a wonderful place. Racially and socially diverse, with a lot of cultural heritage and generational families all around. We have no intention on living anywhere else in the city.

That said, the feeling of safety in New York City as a whole has risen palpably in the last decade or so. The crime rate has plummetted faster than the rest of the country and the climate that sparked the Crown Heights riots and the Tawana Brauley affair has disappated. New Yorkers feel the same way about their city as Parisians do about their home -- either you lived in New York (or Paris), or you're just "somewhere else."