Running Arri 16SB on 9V?

Frederik Floor

• Premium Member

How does it work on the variable speed motor? If that's OK, then the batteries are OK. It could be that the constant speed motor is also OK, just that it shuts down automatically rather than let you keep shooting when it doesn't have enough voltage to maintain sync. Perhaps you can borrow a known good Arri battery. Ask a rental house, if they're not busy, they may let you test it in their checkout area.

-- J.S.

Nope, it's exactly the same problem. It starts out fine, but slows down. I don't think the voltage is to low, because if I try more than once it doesn't start at all.

I'm also having a hard time finding a rental house in Norway.

If the problem is in the batteries I'm afraid I won't afford to buy original ones in a while. I can't find anywhere to buy one nearby either.

• Premium Member

I agree with John, if both motors are experiencing the same thing, then I would rule out a problem with either motor. If you are not running a torque motor on the camera, just the camera motor, then the "electronics" in the camera are absolutely simple, a wire carries the current and there is one on/off switch. That's it. In the later cameras there was the buckle switch, but it too is a simple on/off switch, so on the later cameras you have an extra few wires and two on/off switches.

When you add the torque motor for the 400 foot magazine, you still aren't adding any electronics, it is just you are adding another electric motor, and if the magazines aren't lubricated or the torque motor is not adjusted properly, that can put an extra draw on the batteries.

I would test the camera without the torque motor attached, and if it is behaving as you describe, you need to look at the battery pack.

Best,

-Tim

I have no external magazines, so I'm guessing the problem is in the batteries. It sucks, but I'll have to buy new ones so I'm looking for some original batteries for this camera. I've looked around quite a bit, but it seems the price is at 500$ and up, so does anyone know where I can get batteries a bit cheaper?

I really appreciate all your help, and I'm hoping that I can finally shoot something with this camera if I get a hold of some batteries.

Thanks!

Frederik

• Premium Member

Frederik,

$500 is ridiculous. Find 7.2 volt or 9.6 volt battery packs and a charger. They are used in little Radio Controlled toy cars, in power hand tools like portable electric drills, in all kinds of different applications. I pick them up here in the States for under $25.

Best,

-Tim

• Premium Member

Frederik,

I use these by themselves:

pRS1-7247122w345.jpg

or these wired in parallel:

pRS1C-2160028w345.jpg

And they both work fine running the camera with either the Arri constant speed motor pictured below:

GovCon1.jpg

or the Arri variable speed motor pictured below:

Variable.jpg

Don't really know what else I can tell you.

Best,

-Tim