No more Avid Liquid -> New Editing Program for PC

Dominic Gruenberg

I just read that Avid is shutting down Avid Liquid completely. I don't get along with Avid cutting systems very well (that's why I changed to Liquid Edition), and in the future I will have to change from Liquid to another program. But which one? I love FCP, but I don't need another computer here, so I am looking for a PC based one. I heard that Edius is quite good and pretty similar to Liquid. So what are you guys using, and why do you think it's good?

• Premium Member

I would say the most prevalent non AVID PC editing systems are probably Premier (which I used a long time ago and really enjoyed) and Vegas, which I tried to use once, and then got frustrated, yelled, and created a new alcoholic beverage. What's nice about the new premier programs is their integration across the adobe suite, which can be nice for finishing things, much the same as FCP is very nice with the whole suite of programs it has. Still, though, were I to seriously get into editing I'd stick with Avid. I bought media composer for my Mac, and it's not too bad all in all. I certainly do edit faster on it then I do on FCP, but that's just me.

I would say that you may consider Adobe Premiere. Not my favorite NLE, but it's used in some professional facilities and its easy to use. Also a plus is its integration with Adobe After Effects and other programs of the Suite.

I edited in Avid from 1995 to 03 and understand that may be complicated for some. Now mainly use FCP and Autodesk Smoke.

As someone who came back to editing after years away, Sony Vegas has been good to me. It runs well, and even on my cluttered machine, it has no problems with memory hogging or such.

I would spring for the full version with surround sound and the built-in video scope.

Claus.