I Love Lucy

I was watching I Love Lucy tonight and really started to notice how sharp it is. There are always a few soft shots where the focus appears to be slightly off, but every shot that is in focus is extremely sharp! Does anyone know what camera bodies and lenses were used for I Love Lucy?

I was watching I Love Lucy tonight and really started to notice how sharp it is. There are always a few soft shots where the focus appears to be slightly off, but every shot that is in focus is extremely sharp! Does anyone know what camera bodies and lenses were used for I Love Lucy?

Probably Mitchell Cameras and Baltars.

They shot with PRIMES. That is an important element of sharpness. THey probably closed down 2-3 stops from wide-open too for optimal sharpness too.

They haven't remastered this in HD yet, have they? With 35mm film. . .they can B)

• Premium Member
Probably Mitchell Cameras and Baltars.

Definitely Mitchell BNC's from the production stills I've seen. Probably right about Baltars. And lit to a nice deep stop. Karl Freund was the DP.

-- J.S.

How do Arri standard mount primes compare to baltars? I'm thinking of getting a IIC soon with some Arri standard primes. I was concerned about lack of sharpness, but I Love Lucy really opened my eyes to how sharp old lenses can be.

• Premium Member
How do Arri standard mount primes compare to baltars? I'm thinking of getting a IIC soon with some Arri standard primes. I was concerned about lack of sharpness, but I Love Lucy really opened my eyes to how sharp old lenses can be.

Standards are plenty sharp, sharper than baltars. They're not "make the lead actress hate you" sharp like master primes, but they're plenty sharp for your every day work.

• 1 year later...