Stage Power Distribution

Hello, all.

In the upcoming weeks I'll be shooting a student film on a small sound stage not affiliated with our school. The soundstage is pretty simple, more or less a sounded-out warehouse with power.

However, one of my main concerns is power. They have enough power but my concern is accessing it correctly - thus safely. They have a large power supply that goes camlock out, which I am somewhat familiar with but not totally comfortable with. I want the set to be safe, so I want to know of all the proper equipment needed.

So, would I just connect with camlocks out into a lunch box? Would I use this box as my main access point and just run stingers to my lights. I'll be needing around 200 amps total of power to access. What is my best plan of action?

Thanks!

A lunchbox is a 100a, 6 circuit distribution box, usually fed by a 100a bates cable. Your desired result is two lunchboxes, each providing you with 100a of power and run singers to serve the fixtures on the soundstage.

This is not a question with a single or simple answer. One way would be to go from the camloks on the "company switch" or "bullswitch" via camlok cables, to a camlok distribution box and feed you lunchboxes from it (the distro) with 100a bates cable. If you never done anything like this yourself, it would be best to have a competent Gaffer or Set Electrician on your crew. The Harry Box, Set Lighting Technicians book will provide some information in this area.

A lunchbox is a 100a, 6 circuit distribution box, usually fed by a 100a bates cable. Your desired result is two lunchboxes, each providing you with 100a of power and run singers to serve the fixtures on the soundstage.

This is not a question with a single or simple answer. One way would be to go from the camloks on the "company switch" or "bullswitch" via camlok cables, to a camlok distribution box and feed you lunchboxes from it (the distro) with 100a bates cable. If you never done anything like this yourself, it would be best to have a competent Gaffer or Set Electrician on your crew. The Harry Box, Set Lighting Technicians book will provide some information in this area.

Thanks, JD! I am in the process of securing someone knowledgeable of such, but I want to make sure I understand the protocol as well.

So would it be a #2/5 camlock banded cable into the company switch ("bullswitch) - having turned off the bullswitch before hand and fastening the camlock in order: green, white, black, red, blue.

Then camlock into the distro box: on a local rental site I see the lowest amperage at 400a camlock thru distro box (single phase).

Then connect the lunch boxes to the distro box with 100a bates.

Does that sound correct?

Thanks again for your help!

Yes, you've gotten it correct. It's good to have an understanding of the basic process. This way you can have a sense if the person you eventually bring on, knows what their talking about or is just a B.S. artist and read about in a book, the night prior.