Best Way To Achieve Deeply Saturated Black and White image in Super 8

Christopher Frey

What is the best way to to achieve a deeply black and white image... with a narrow gray scale? Should I use a filter? Or would a lighting setup be the best way? What would be a good exposure for indoors on Tri-x?

Thanks for the help-- first time user.

Christopher Frey

If it's indoors you can control your setups and make sure they are high contrast. Outdoors it's harder, but a red, green, or orange filter will get darker and more dramatic results.

For that classic Hollywood B/W look, the best place for advice is the John Alton book, called something like 'Painting with Light.' First came out in late 40s but was reprinted a few years ago.

There's no way you can alter the inherent curve of the film stock, except maybe through processing techniques, so what you have to do is control the subject lighting.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the best way to to achieve a deeply black and white image... with a narrow gray scale? Should I use a filter? Or would a lighting setup be the best way? What would be a good exposure for indoors on Tri-x?

Thanks for the help-- first time user.

Christopher Frey

you can cross process your tri-x, if thats not a problem for you, really brings up contrast from my experience..

• 3 weeks later...

Are you planning on projecting your film or telecine for digital editing?

If projecting, you'll have to control you saturation (better word for this being contrast) by your lighting.

If doing a telecine xfer, you could light your film fairly flat (light with a low contrast) and can then manipulate your contrast during the transfer or in post.

My results differ from the previous poster about cross-processing. I scan lots of tri-x cross processed here at frame discreet and it has a much lower contrast (wider latitude) than reversal film. That's why I always cross process my tri-x (unless I need to project it). Cross processing gives me more shadow detail and more highlight detail (at a sacrifice of a grainier image, which I quite like).

Maybe the other poster wasn't able to supervise his transfer to see how much range there really is in the cross-processed image?

Best of Luck!

oh attaching some samples.

tri-x from BELLADONNA, our raw 2k scanner.

SUPER 8 and SUPER 16.

First image is the FLAT scan with no correction. Second Image is with a contrast and gamma adjustment to give it more of a 40's film noir kind of look. (the super 8 was under exposed by 1 1/2 stops so not as much latitude in the shadows- and a little softer than normal).

test20_08_Apr_2010_14_57_27%20(0-00-58-13).jpg

test20_08_Apr_2010_14_57_27%20(0-00-58-14).jpg

test20_08_Apr_2010_14_57_26%20(0-00-39-07).jpg

test20_08_Apr_2010_14_57_26%20(0-00-39-05).jpg

Edited by Justin Lovell

• 1 month later...