super 8 velvia ( wittner 50d )

andy oliver

• Premium Member

Hi, anyone with any experiance with wittner 50d?. I've just received one cartridge back from the lab, and the images are as steady as the wittner 100d. No jitter ( even at 54fps ) and the definition is amazing. I also found the stock is less prone to blown out hightlights when compared to 100D.

Well, that is good news. The image quality has been praised before. But running the film through a S8 camera gave some people difficulty.

Where did you buy it and where was it processed? Wittner's ? They are more the pro business and also they state that they have their own production of S8 cartridges lubed.

• Premium Member
Well, that is good news. The image quality has been praised before. But running the film through a S8 camera gave some people difficulty.

Where did you buy it and where was it processed? Wittner's ? They are more the pro business and also they state that they have their own production of S8 cartridges lubed.

Hi, the film was purchased from Wittner and processed at Andec. There seems to be so little feedback on the net regarding super 8 wittner 50. I've previously used 16mm w50d and the w64t, but never there super 8 offing. Camera was the leicina special running at 18fps and 54fps. Price wise, eek, one can purchase two carts of kodak 64t for the price of one cart of 50d... Whilst kodak 64t is a great stock for sunny days, the downside, is the grain on a dull day... Placed an order for ten more 50d, will report back in a few weeks...

I too was impressed with the 'cleanliness' of this stock. I shot on a Canon 1014XL-S (24fps, 150 degree shutter angle) on a bright sunny day and the result (projected on an Elmo ST1200) was so impressive that even my ex film school buddies (used to shooting 16mm) were surprised to see Super 8 produce such a sharp, vibrant, and grain free image. Image was also rock steady with no jitters at all.

I'd love to see what Fuji 25D single 8 film would look like when shot in good conditions. I've read, though I find it very hard to believe, that it produces a higher definition image than 16mm Kodachrome 40! Whether this is true or not though is another matter!

Velvia 50D is a great stock and its a shame its not as cheap as, or as accesible as, 64T.

• Premium Member

Always had nothing but excellent results from Spectra's Velvia 50D (and their Ektrachrome 100D). Velvia always seemed a little more saturated than all the other reversals and has it's own "look" to it. Not quite Kodachrome and not quite Ektachrome.

• Premium Member

Hi, 16mm k40 is sharper ( down to my last 16 rolls :( ), ds-8 k25 also has more bite than fuji 50d on a projected screen. However the 50d is certainly the best current super 8 reversal stock available. I've seen a fair amount of single 8 R25 projected last year at a film show, taken with the zc1000. The same film show k40 and ds-8 k25 was also projected. The fuji R25 looked good until the kodachrome footage was shown.. I have a project that requires modern looking, clean super 8 and the fuji looks to be the only option. Given the price is the same as Wittner 100D, the additional sharpness of the fuji stock make it a real winner, shame about the cost...

• Premium Member

Wittner seems to have invested a lot in perforating different film stock and sell it as theirs / his own brand.

Same goes for another company that just constructed a better super 8 cartridge that's filled with 50D Velvia.

Manufacturing of the 64T has ended. It's too grainy for Super8. I NEVER understood why the standard K40 was tungsten balanced while 95 percent of all amateur shooting was exterior, RUINING your film with a lousy 85B gel filter inside your camera.

I really like Kodaks 100D stock and will try the Velvia 50D soon. I think the 50D has a more "negative" type of look. As if you'd have made a one-light print of a negative stock...

Wittner seems to have invested a lot in perforating different film stock and sell it as theirs / his own brand.

Same goes for another company that just constructed a better super 8 cartridge that's filled with 50D Velvia.

The revolutionary new Super 8 material is in the final testing phase and will be available in a few weeks.

Be one of the first to get the new film, by making your advance-order (without obligation)

This message has been on their site for two years :( There is no actual delivery of these wonder cartridges. They are too busy working on Polaroid re-introduction :) Hope that actually works out. But there they have the original manufactering site of Polaroid as a partner.

Stoppage of 64T in S8 is just a made up rumour of one of these forums.

• Premium Member

The company GK Film is starting to ship their new Velvia super 8 cartridges from next week on.

Thats on their website and in an ad of the german "smallformat" magazine.

The main man behind this project, Gottfried Klose, said that it took him two years to construct a new cartridge (clearing patents etc.?) and to buy or reconstruct machines that can perforate the film right...

At GK Film there also seems to be lesser money involved in comparison to Wittner who had bought i.e all remaining Beaulieu parts and lots of other stuff to "serve the filming community in the future".

Ektachrome 64T

• Premium Member

''Stoppage of 64T in S8 is just a made up rumour of one of these forums''

Only a rumour, but there has to be a knock on effect, especially once the super 8 stockpile of 64t is exhausted...

100D from kodak at 64t prices :)

The company GK Film is starting to ship their new Velvia super 8 cartridges from next week on.

Thats on their website and in an ad of the german "smallformat" magazine.

The main man behind this project, Gottfried Klose, said that it took him two years to construct a new cartridge (clearing patents etc.?) and to buy or reconstruct machines that can perforate the film right...

At GK Film there also seems to be lesser money involved in comparison to Wittner who had bought i.e all remaining Beaulieu parts and lots of other stuff to "serve the filming community in the future".

Ektachrome 64T

These 120 EPY rolls don't fit my S8 cameras :)

In ca. 3 Wochen gehen die Maschinen in Betrieb und mit der Bearbeitung bzw. Herstellung von Super8- und Doppel-Super8-Material kann begonnen werden.Als nächstes wird dann die Maschine für 16mm-Material gewartet. Diese wird ca. im Mai 2010 in Betrieb gehen.

This undated text states 3 weeks for the machines to become opeational.

BTW I recall these new redisgned cartridges have been in the air for like 4-5 years.

Edited by Andries Molenaar

• Premium Member

Andries, i know the whole story also for a long time.

I was just citing this guys website that states he ships his stuff from 03.15.2010. I don't know if it's true or not and don't really care.

When Kodak stopped K40 was when and why i switched to lovely double super 8. For me the cartridges always were a big fail and Ektachrome 64T never made it for me either.

I was just citing this guys website that states he ships his stuff from 03.15.2010. I don't know if it's true or not and don't really care.

When Kodak stopped K40 was when and why i switched to lovely double super 8. For me the cartridges always were a big fail and Ektachrome 64T never made it for me either.

Bumped into a small stock of 30meters K25 DS8 myself. One last spring/summer/autumn with Kodachrome. :) There must so much film around in freezers and cellars. Enough for many years for the die hards. Now find it!

We'll see what comes of this newest Cinevia announcement. Maybe it works out this time. Mr Klose has an entitlement to success after all these years.

Noticed a photo of large pyramid of Cinevia boxes on a table at some magazine or filmclub webpage. Possibly Waghäusel? Was this recent?

How is this with text in the wikipedia about Fuji stopping production of Velvia in 2006?

• Premium Member
Bumped into a small stock of 30meters K25 DS8 myself. One last spring/summer/autumn with Kodachrome. :) There must so much film around in freezers and cellars. Enough for many years for the die hards. Now find it!

We'll see what comes of this newest Cinevia announcement. Maybe it works out this time. Mr Klose has an entitlement to success after all these years.

Noticed a photo of large pyramid of Cinevia boxes on a table at some magazine or filmclub webpage. Possibly Waghäusel? Was this recent?

How is this with text in the wikipedia about Fuji stopping production of Velvia in 2006?

WOW, how on earth did you root out that k25, thought i searched every corner of the planet for k25.. After twenty years of filming on kodachrome, its the end of an era this year. Busy year, have 17000 feet of ds-8 and 8mm kodachrome along with 16 rolls of 16mm k40 to expose by December :o ...

• Premium Member
WOW, how on earth did you root out that k25, thought i searched every corner of the planet for k25.. After twenty years of filming on kodachrome, its the end of an era this year. Busy year, have 17000 feet of ds-8 and 8mm kodachrome along with 16 rolls of 16mm k40 to expose by December :o ...

Let us know if you need to unload some. It would be good to have some for this summer.

Seems the website GKfilmwas modified to show the machines with actual slit and perfed film running through them. A cartridge is stated to cost Euro 33,50 including processing (and sales tax).

With shipping by Cinevia.eu (i.e. from Austria, expensive) things get out of hand a bit. Especially from outside EU.

And http://www.Cinevia.eu is not working properly yet :(

produkt-flyer.jpg

Edited by Andries Molenaar