speed panchros Ser.II compared to Ser.III

Hello !

I want to ask you what's the difference between Speed Panchro Ser. II and Speed Panchro Ser.III.

The Ser. III lenses are often more expensive than the lenses of Ser.II. Is there really such a big difference in quality ?

In which years were they made ?

And what about the kinetals ? How good are they ?

(sorry for my bad english)

Michael

• Premium Member
Hello !

I want to ask you what's the difference between Speed Panchro Ser. II and Speed Panchro Ser.III.

The Ser. III lenses are often more expensive than the lenses of Ser.II. Is there really such a big difference in quality ?

In which years were they made ?

And what about the kinetals ? How good are they ?

(sorry for my bad english)

Michael

Hi,

SIII exist only in 18 & 25mm. Dates are available on the Cooke website.

The kinetals are for 16mm & good for their time.

Stephen

• Premium Member
Not really true as 18 & 25mm are available in Series II.

Fair enough. That's the info a rental house told me. The couple sets I've used were all Ser. 2 except the Ser 3 18mm and 25mm.

So what's the difference between the Ser 2 and 3 18mm and 25mm?

There was a complete redesign on the Ser 3. The 18mm is much smaller, has a flat front element and offers more coverage. The same can be said about the 25mm apart from the flat front element.

Coatings vary quite a bit on Cooke lenses. I have been assembling a set and both ser 2 and 3 made in the mid 70s are very cool compared to the warmer look of those made in 1970 and earlier.

You will notice a bluish coating to some of the Ser 3 18mm sometimes that yields a warmer image than say one with a clearer magenta-ish coating from 1976.

I have actually been surprised by the lack of warmth of the later panchros, since I expected them to be warm. They are razor sharp on a digital sensor (GH1). I have yet to test them out on 35mm so I am curious to see how they will behave on film.

I have a clear 75mm from 1975 and one with the classic radio active decay from 1957. The older 'radioactive' one is a more pleasing portrait lens IMO but the yellowing seems to make the lens lose a stop of light or more. The later model is sharper, higher in contrast, and looks more saturated but lacks that unique golden tone of the older one.