sound with moviecam SL...possible?

Anna Baltl

hey,

I would love to hear if anyone has experience with recording sound and shooting with the moviecam SL.

We are planing to use the SL for a short film with interior scenes/dialog, however director and dop agreed that they would not be that picky with sound ... i am still not sure if that is a good idea.

any experiences... could we get away with it?

thanks!

Short answer: ADR.

At 25dB, the SL is not too bad. There are noisier cameras, to be sure. It really depends on the specifics of your scene. However, inexperienced filmmakers can and will overlook the importance of good clear sound at final cut stage. I see it all the time.

If the camera self noise, as picked up from the mics, is distracting from the scenes in post, it must be fixed. Audiences are very unforgiving with poor sound. If one is in doubt, as you seem to be, it is safer to make sure that it won't be a problem later, when it will cost more money to fix. So if there's any doubt, I would ADR it in post and get stellar sound. A short shouldn't be to terribly hard to ADR, as long as you have the scratch on set sound recording.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• 2 weeks later...
hey,

I would love to hear if anyone has experience with recording sound and shooting with the moviecam SL.

We are planing to use the SL for a short film with interior scenes/dialog, however director and dop agreed that they would not be that picky with sound ... i am still not sure if that is a good idea.

any experiences... could we get away with it?

thanks!

Anna,

From my experience, the SL will be fine for most situations. You will hear it though if you shoot in a small bathroom with tile floors and walls.

Perhaps not the best for an intimate love scene with the camera close to the actors, but you should be OK with most situations.

You could cover the camera with a blanket or coats, which should reduce the noise apart from that coming out the front.

• Premium Member

I assume you are renting? If so, perhaps they have a sound barney for it. I have one for my Kinors (similar to Moviecam SuperAmerica, but noisier!) and it works great. Put an optical flat in front of the lens to further dampen noise.

Bruce Taylor

www.indi35.com