Tungsten lighting for Greenkey

Hey hey,

Within a couple of days I have a shoot on Tungsten for Green Screen.

The studio is about 300 square meters.

What lights should I be using? We'll be shooting pretty much on nothing else besides fluorescent lighting for the actors light, but I was wondering if there is specific tungsten lighting for the green key, that won't take me too much time to install and still cover the whole area whilst having enough light.

Thanks,

Maxim

Do you need to see the floor ?

jb

Yes.

Right now I've rented about 16 space lights (6x800w each) and 10 Cycloids of 5Kw each.

The room is 10m high, 13 width, 16 long.

Would this do it?

We're shooting on the Phantom HD Gold too, at 1000 fps. Without greenkey, on black background with 24Kw as a backlight and 16 Kw Jumbo light as a fill. Is this overkill?

Thanks,

Mx

• Premium Member
Yes.

Right now I've rented about 16 space lights (6x800w each) and 10 Cycloids of 5Kw each.

The room is 10m high, 13 width, 16 long.

Would this do it?

We're shooting on the Phantom HD Gold too, at 1000 fps. Without greenkey, on black background with 24Kw as a backlight and 16 Kw Jumbo light as a fill. Is this overkill?

Thanks,

Mx

1000FPS is getting up there.

I haven't done much in the way of ultra high speed, but I also am pretty sure there can be issues with flicker on tungsten sources lower than 2K at higher frame rates. There may be others who can comment more knowledgeably on this.

Spacelights are great but you don't get heaps of level from them considering the wattage burning. And I wonder if there's enough for 1000FPS. Do you have any photometric data for the spacelights ? I'd be looking that up (or for an equivalent) and trying to work out if you have enough fc. My instincts point to that maybe not being enough in terms of level.

jb

As a general rule tungsten heads under 2-5k will flicker at 1000fps if run off an AC plant.

CML has a rather comprehensive series of discussions on this. Definitely worth a read.

Edited by Matthew Parnell

What I haven't seen yet (even on CML): are those rules for 120 V or for 230 V lamps?

There should be quite a difference as the filaments are much heavier for lower voltages and thus flicker less...

Edited by Marc Roessler