Can I lose The Archives?

Tim Tyler

Do you think the forum archives (pre 2004 messages) should be kept?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the forum archives (pre 2004 messages) should be kept?

• No. Delete all messages prior to 2004.
    • I don't care.
    • Yes. Please keep the archives online.

Prior to 2004 the Cinematography.com Forum used different software than the current forum. I have not been able to port the archive messages from the old database to the new one. The old forum archives are actually hosted on a different server too. I'd like to retire the old server gracefully before it dies on its own.

Do you think it's important to keep these old messages available online, or can I pull the server and just keep the disks until I figure out a way to import the data to a new system?

(If you have MSSQL and mySQL expertise and you want to help out, send me an email)

• Premium Member

Obviously you shouldn't delete all of that information, but if you need to temporarily pull it from the server until it can be converted to some other format, then go ahead.

I guess we're seeing one of the classic problems of digital archiving... format obsoletion making retrieval difficult.

I liked them, but gave up looking at them because I seemed to have some issue with viewing the pages. Instead being able to view a message/tree and then press "back" on my browser to go back to the page of messages, it would give me an error message, and I'd keep pressing "back" until I was on the first page of whatever archive it was. It made browsing beyond the first page a pain. Maybe it's just something I did wrong? I don't know. It's something I'd like to see kept. Perhaps you could organize it like the Cinematography.net stuff? By topic (eyelights, greenscreen, George Lucas/Lost in Translation/sucks/rules etc.)?

maintaining servers cost money. this site is free for the most part. as long as you will store the vast knowledge of info on floppies, etc. then by alll means pull the plug and archive. as long as we have the Great Minds like david mullen and others around, this fourm will continue to serve...

Sounds like the archives are too much of a hassle. Pull em off the internet and save them somewhere. Maybe at a later date they could be pulled back into this site. It?s not worth carrying an extra server.