Kodak 50 D for an indoor animation? Lighting?

Hi, I was looking at a good telecine of this film on the internet and I really like the fine grain of the film. I am making a stop motion animation film with photographs (each frame will be a shot of a photo from my 16mm bolex)

What kind of lighting power would you need to work with that film indoors? Would it be possible to make a lighting kit for this purpose from a hardware store?

Or would it be simpler to set my project up outside on a sunny, cloudless day and shoot outside? I could imagine that could cause problems what with weather being temperamental? TY

Hi, I was looking at a good telecine of this film on the internet and I really like the fine grain of the film. I am making a stop motion animation film with photographs (each frame will be a shot of a photo from my 16mm bolex)

What kind of lighting power would you need to work with that film indoors? Would it be possible to make a lighting kit for this purpose from a hardware store?

Or would it be simpler to set my project up outside on a sunny, cloudless day and shoot outside? I could imagine that could cause problems what with weather being temperamental? TY

use a copy stand with two or four 100 watt (500 watt equivalent) daylight fluoros. Or one of the ebay photo tents. I think that with the right lens, you should be all set using a bolex. Since it is stop motion, you can do long exposures to get a think negative.

use a copy stand with two or four 100 watt (500 watt equivalent) daylight fluoros. Or one of the ebay photo tents. I think that with the right lens, you should be all set using a bolex. Since it is stop motion, you can do long exposures to get a think negative.

Cool. Now would flicker be a problem with the fluorescent lighting? I believe the shutter is something like 1/30th for single frame on the RX5...I have forgotten whether its the shutter that causes the flicker or the electrics in the lights that fluctuates...?

Edited by james donovan

• Premium Member

Can you get a Flash Socket in the Bolex? a set of 4 good size strobes, (they could be cheep ones as you just need light, not exposure control) would cover you and avoid any blur from vibration.