I wanna make a movie

Rob Belics

Someone here once questioned why he hears that statement so often. I'm sure many of you have heard it here or on other boards, or even at a gathering of friends. Many of us say we got into this business because we loved photography, or art, or acting, or sound ... but how many of us want to "make a movie" because we like the attention?

Look at me! Look at me! Look at me!

I think there are two versions of that. One is the person who likes to be different; would never hold an office job. The other is the guy who wants the attention, maybe to be loved and adored because he feels ignored or neglected.

I can't help but think the latter is the one who posts on dv message boards saying "I wanna make a movie" and then wants to know how to make Gone with the Wind using an XL1, only better.

Guest Frank Gossimier

You mean I'm spending all this time making Super 8 movies for the kids on my block just so I can get attention?

Frank

Someone here once questioned why he hears that statement so often.  I'm sure many of you have heard it here or on other boards, or even at a gathering of friends.  Many of us say we got into this business because we loved photography, or art, or acting, or sound ... but how many of us want to "make a movie" because we like the attention? 

Look at me!  Look at me!  Look at me! 

I think there are two versions of that.  One is the person who likes to be different; would never hold an office job.  The other is the guy who wants the attention, maybe to be loved and adored because he feels ignored or neglected.

I can't help but think the latter is the one who posts on dv message boards saying "I wanna make a movie" and then wants to know how to make Gone with the Wind using an XL1, only better.

you are a simple, simple man my friend.

why waste your time learning cinematography when you can go to business school and become a stereotypical hollywood elitist a$$hole producer?

this is the dumbest most ignorant post i have ever read anywhere on tyhe internet and its a reminder of the sheer stupidity, heartlesness and selfeshness of some of us.

find another line of work...you're an insult to the creative spirit.

go kick a ball or something...

Edited by TSM

• Premium Member

I believe Truffaut once said that one of the reasons one becomes an artist are the immature passions of youth: need to impress members of the opposite sex, need for attention, etc. And he said there was nothing wrong with that since it has produced some very great art in the past.

The only thing I would disagree with Rob on is that both motivations -- the need to be different and the need for attention -- usually exist simultaneously in most artists. Obviously anyone who wants fame must think they are different than the average person and deserve the attention.

While the proportions may vary -- some more concerned about artistic goals while others more concerned about status and fame -- the truth is that it is SO hard to make a movie that I'm sure there are easier and faster ways if you simply want to be famous.

I believe Truffaut once said that one of the reasons one becomes an artist are the immature passions of youth: need to impress members of the opposite sex, need for attention, etc.  And he said there was nothing wrong with that since it has produced some very great art in the past.

I agree with that statement, fully. Freud would say that even the way you pick your nose is subconciously calculated to impress the opposite sex.

I have to agree a little bit with the original poster... I've seen a lot of these "aspiring directors" in film schools I've attended. Sometimes they really get a movie done and of course it sucks. And then they just give up, because they don't love making movies. You really can't be passionate enough if you don't have strong motives.

But then again, you have to do something to see if you are good at it.

As for me, all begun by making movies, and now I really DON'T want to make movies. I just want to shoot movies. Why? Because it's fun and I love it. And of course everyone wants to be good at what they do and get people to see that.

Guest Sean McVeigh
Sometimes they really get a movie done and of course it sucks. And then they just give up, because they don't love making movies.

If you pour all your efforts into a project, and it comes out pure crap, then you step back and evaluate what went wrong, change those elements, and do better next time.

I can't fathom having the reaction you describe to one's own work unless they are truly in the wrong field.

Some people don't discover their true passions until later in life. Fresh out of high school, most people don't know what they're doing. I saw a lot of people switch majors in university or just plain drop out. Those people didn't necessarily find it too difficult, they simply realized they'd rather be doing something else.

I can't remember where I was going with this post (This _is_ the off-topic forum afterall!)... mainly just that one doesn't need to be disgusted with some people's attitudes towards their work, because hopefully they are only killing time until they find their true calling :)

-Sean

• Premium Member

I believe Mark Twain said:

"When we do not know a person--and also when we do--we have to judge his size by the size and nature of his achievements, as compared with the achievements of others in his special line of business--there is no other way."

Those that do it for fame make movies that the people want. Those that do it for art make movies that they want for themselves. And to me the latter is more important. If I can reach some people in the process so be it. Cinema can be a selfish art form.

And, as Snoop Dogg put it:

"You'se a flea and I'm the big Dogg

I'll scratch you off my balls with my motherf*@%in paws"

Snoop is a true artist...

I agree that every artist wants others to love their work. I would think they would also hope to be loved indirectly because of their work. That might be true no matter what work you do.

Unforuntately, I find too often those who wish to make a movie only for the attention and not for the art. In most cases, I think, those are the movies that are never made.

In my case I went through periods of liking the special attention until I was working steadily; then it became no big deal, though I was a good name dropper. :rolleyes:

When I got out of the film/tv biz and worked for Silicon Graphics, I liked to remind people that SGI did efx for Jurassic Park, as if it made me more wonderful in their eyes. At least I would admit I had nothing to do with it.

I once worked with a computer programmer who's main pre-occupation was with religion. You could tell when you talked to him that he didn't breath code but would talk about which church he visited the Sunday before. I was a hardware guy then and could be called a "David Mullen for electronics". I had all the magazines and articles and could quote history and tell you all the ins and outs of the latest chips.

I loved what I was doing but also loved when others deferred to my opinion on things. There I think is the difference. Striving to do what you do and being loved for it.

Hmm. But what about the poor guy who is different. Doesn't follow the company line, the status quo? Strives for what he loves but is ridiculed for it and unloved?

If you pour all your efforts into a project, and it comes out pure crap, then you step back and evaluate what went wrong, change those elements, and do better next time. 

Yes, but I was really talking about these guys who think it's cool to make a movie without understanding what it really takes. They think there's a lot of glamour involved :D

That's exactly the way I started, I hope someday my stuff isn't crap anymore.

• Premium Member

I thought I was the only guy helping 8th graders make dv movies. The big

thing this week that they are buzzing about is Agelina Jollie wearing an eye

patch in "Sky Captian" . The dvd just came out here and the kids are going

nuts over it. Sweet jesus, an 8th grade girl asked what a blue screen is. Well

I just generally told her,I'm not to literate on that one myself. I really am a film

purist at heart. I suppose one has to just go make a movie,dv. Quote:

"When I was 16, I worked as a newspaper delivery boy in order

to earn the money to buy a Keystone 8mm camera,which I cou-

ld use to film the athletes in slow motion during a competition in

order to understand a new high-jump technique being used by

american athletes to improve their scores. That experience got

me interested in shooting film,but my parents didn't want me to

go into the cinema because,to them, it was sinful . However,my

stills photography earned me a place in a school of photography

In Stockholm. Once in the city,I was free to go to the movies

every night. I decided to become a cinematographer,and soon I

got my first job as an assistant cameraman. "- Sven Nykvist