Fluorescent Options Besides Kino's

Tim Tyler

I love Kino's. They're durable, predictable, light weight, and they make a nice soft light.

At NAB last year I noticed dozens of other vendors pushing alternative fluorescent units. All were less expensive than Kino's, and all used a different kind of flo tube.

If you have experince with these non-Kino solutions I'm interested to hear what you think of them.

• Premium Member

Tried Sachtlers version. You can snap them together to create one giant wall if you want, but since they have the ballast built in, they're kinda heavy. Dimmable on the unit, which is good.

Although I hate the sight of cables, I think the idea of a built in ballast is not really ideal. You want units that are light and easy to rig high on wonky stands - no need to have the weight up there in the beams.

• Premium Member

I've been in some TV studios that use "Light Tech" and "Videscense" lights and I hated the color rendition. They seem to put extra "pink" in the tubes to counteract the green spike, but it still doesn't translate to a smooth spectrum or healthy looking skin tones.

• Premium Member
I've been in some TV studios that use "Light Tech" and "Videscense" lights and I hated the color rendition. They seem to put extra "pink" in the tubes to counteract the green spike, but it still doesn't translate to a smooth spectrum or healthy looking skin tones.

I second that opinion. The Videssence units I've seen are just brutal on skin tones.

J