kit stands

Hello: I am putting together a small lighting package and need to purchase some lightweight light stands. The lights that i will be be using are basically Arri 650 fresnels,Arri 300 watt fresnels, 200watt Mole midgets and Arri 150's. I have a few Arri AS-1 stands. I love these stands.... but they cost around $130 each. I need a total of 8 stands so if you do the math it gets expensive. Can anyone suggest a good solid professional lightweight stand that meets or exceeds the Arri kit stand. Hoping to find something in the $45-60 range.

I own several American and Matthews 2 riser baby stands that i use for my larger lights but these stands are clearly overkill for the run and gun type production.

your thoughts please!

• Premium Member

I have used a set of Lowel Omni-stands for many years for smaller lights. Unlike a lot of the cheap stuff they are really solid, and reasonably light. Looks like they can be had for about $90 ea new. You might have some luck on ebay as well for used ones.

Bruce

Hello: I am putting together a small lighting package and need to purchase some lightweight light stands. The lights that i will be be using are basically Arri 650 fresnels,Arri 300 watt fresnels, 200watt Mole midgets and Arri 150's. I have a few Arri AS-1 stands. I love these stands.... but they cost around $130 each. I need a total of 8 stands so if you do the math it gets expensive. Can anyone suggest a good solid professional lightweight stand that meets or exceeds the Arri kit stand. Hoping to find something in the $45-60 range.

I own several American and Matthews 2 riser baby stands that i use for my larger lights but these stands are clearly overkill for the run and gun type production.

your thoughts please!

Thanks for the feed back, I own some of those Lowel Omni stands that you spoke of. They are too lightweight even for the mole midgets. I do also own some of the heavy duty lowel KS stands and they are a little over kill for this need. Again looking for something as good or better than the Arri AS-1stands.

THANKS

• Premium Member

Again looking for something as good or better than the Arri AS-1stands.

Hi David,

the AS-1 is actually a Manfrotto 050 light stand. You might try and find some used, but I guess you're SOL with finding soemthing as good/better and cheaper. All the cheaper stuff I worked with was too flimsy or not reliable enough for me.

Cheers, Dave

Hi David,

the AS-1 is actually a Manfrotto 050 light stand. You might try and find some used, but I guess you're SOL with finding soemthing as good/better and cheaper. All the cheaper stuff I worked with was too flimsy or not reliable enough for me.

Cheers, Dave

Thanks for the info: My experience has shown me to "not cheap out" when it comes to stands. Spend the extra money up front to avoid a light falling on to who know what or who? I will look into the stand you mentioned. Best Regards

David